What switch do I need?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
I need rack mounted switch. 16 ports is plenty enough. Gigabit is fine.

I want "dumb" switch, but I want it to be fast and reliable. Currently I have D-Link 16 port and it failed after 3 years :( Today Mikrotik started to throw errors about "not able to assign DHCP". I rebooted switch and all started to work but after half an hour I started to see "link up" and "link down" messages in Mikrotik logs pointing to upling to switch..

Ideally I don't want any firmwares "smarts", upgrades, etc. Just plain network "splitter"
I have Mikrotik router and all my networking needs served and setup on a router. Now I just need basic "power strip". But reliable one. And fast..

It's for home, nothing fance and we don't have much load or traffic. Just need to be rock solid and energy efficient...

Budget: I can spend some money, maybe up to $200 for a good one..

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Anybody else vote for SG102? I just looked at it myself. SG200 is 99.99% overkill as I mentioned- I have 8 extra ports on Mikrotik router I can use for fancy stuff. This switch just need to work. Most devices on it "sleeping" 99% of time...

katit

Mar 18, 2015
But who doesn't like overkill? :) Got SG200 with 18 ports from Amazon Warehouse Deals for the price of SG102

Reactions: T_Minus