What server case can you not find?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Here is the question, what chassis can you not find?

I was looking over at Newegg for a 4U chassis. What I am trying to do is get a "quiet" 120mm fan powered 4U to fit a decent number (10+) of both 2.5" and 3.5" drives and fit an EATX motherboard. Of course, I could get a Norco RPC-4224 but I was hoping for higher density since I can use 4-in-1 or 6-in-1 5.25" converters. I saw the RPC-4216 for $329 (16 3.5" and two 5.25") but if I add two 4-in-1's that brings me to $430-500 and still only 24 drives. For that price, it is less expensive to get a RPC-4224. I also saw the iStar D-410-B10SA for $390 but that has only 10x 3.5" drives (four 5.25" though) so again, price way over the RPC-4224 and not much higher density.

Big driver of the above is I want to create a mixed storage + SSD box so that if I were to colo it, I could do one backup array and one SSD array for hot data. 3U would be OK too if it had a decent mix. Seems like you can do 8x 3.5" and 2x 5.25" in that config.

The other one I want is a small micro ATX enclosure with 8x hot swap 3.5" drive slots (can be non-rack mount) and room for SSDs or a small mATX enclosure with 16 SSD slots. Found a seller in china, but $250+ each for the 8-drive variant.

Application - Small home backup appliance that I could use for DAS or NAS.

With that in mind, posing the question to others, what server chassis can you not find.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The iStar chassis are great for completely bare iron. Take a look at some of their 4u chassis with just empty 4x5.25 bays. You can stuff them with multi-drive backplanes to match what you want. But you already noted the downside: the cost of the adding backplane chassis make it impractical. The real value of the Norco series are the relatively inexpensive backplanes. And you won't ever get to the same drive density with 24 3.5inch drives.

I don't think you'll be able to find exactly what you are looking for without it costing ~$500. If cost is your main driver Norco remains the current answer.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Slim DAS chassis or mITX server chassis with > 4 drives. Sized to fit in networking cabinets rather than full sized racks.

I am working with a manufacturer to try and get a good price on the 4 hot swap mITX chassis (prossibly the same company as Patricks 8 drive) but there were a few issues with their initial sample (a rear screw connecting with the motherboard, no internal hdd mounting brackets). They have a revised version with more sturdy hard drive trays, fixed the rear screw and have internal drive brackets so as well as the 4 hot swaps you can also mount up to 2 internal 2.5" drives. I have yet to get the updated sample which reminds me I need to order it now.

Price is good, Flex psu adds a bit though and the real killer for the samples is the shipping which is about the price of the unit without PSU. I am considering knocking the shipping down by putting in an order for 25 units though.

The 6 and 8 bay units they do, they have no current plans to do another production run of although I have spoken to them at length about what a good idea it would be. I will continue to encourage from my side.

I was also considering approaching a company about getting a custom case made. The company I am currently working with for their PC refresh and virtual server adoption is a metal works. They are currently making racks for one of the big names here but make ATM housings and the like. I will probably touch base and see what they can do. Will have to decide on a backplane though. The Intel ones seem reasonably nice and not too expensive for the FUP4X35HSBP (4 drive vertical) or the FXX1304HSBP (4 drive horizontal), for example.

I have the initial 4 hot swap unit at home and will do a short write-up and then add on with the v2.

RB

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
So you want 12x 3.5" HD and 12x 2.5" HD? :)

I did a DIY version from a cheap istar case still in box I found at some liquidation. It has 10x 5.25" bays, which meant filling with drive cages cost more than the case itself, but directron carries a lot and seems to be the cheapest. I strongly prefer tray-less drive bays, though couldn't resist those slick 6-in-1 for the SSD upgrade path which I'm already starting to head down.

Here is a blurry picture that does not do it justice.

edit: or not, can't attach
Anyways its two pairs of horizontal 3-in-2 3.5" cages on the outside, with two vertical 6-in-1 2.5" cages inbetween.

As for what I can't find, that would be a thin, fanless ITX case that I can use my own parts in. I went with a streacom FC8, although the upside there is it takes a low-profile (~2U) card without risers or crazy ribbon adapters.

Last edited:

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Something like a Corsair 550d, but with room for a SSI EEB board and 8+ 3.5 hot swap. The supermicro cases come close, but all have 80mm fans. Not being rack mountable is ok.

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
Something like a Corsair 550d, but with room for a SSI EEB board and 8+ 3.5 hot swap. The supermicro cases come close, but all have 80mm fans. Not being rack mountable is ok.
How about something like the Chenbro workstation chassis?

http://usa.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_detail.php?sku=104
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811123131

Or the Intel P4000 series might be another to consider:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/server-chassis/server-chassis-p4300.html
http://www.provantage.com/intel-p4308xxmfdn~7ITE90WR.htm

Both accept EEB-FF and are outfitted with 120mm cooling...

peace,

Last edited:

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012