What powersupplies comes with alot of molex cables?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
Since PSUs don't seem to have a forum I'll post it here since PSUs are closely tied with chassis.

I'm looking for a new PSU, and I would love a modular one that comes with 3-5 Molex cables does such a PSU excist?

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
I don't know what kind of load you're looking at but you could fabricate your own cable(s) with as many connectors as you want.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
Well it's only for a file server so I don' technically need too many, just want to spread the drives out over a couple of ports on the PSU.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I don't know what kind of load you're looking at but you could fabricate your own cable(s) with as many connectors as you want.
+1 for this. Go modular then make exactly the cables you need. You'll have much cleaner results.

supermacro

Aug 31, 2012
I'm looking for a new PSU, and I would love a modular one that comes with 3-5 Molex cables does such a PSU excist?
By Molex, I'm assuming 4 pin connectors and, yes, most PSU's come with at least a few and if that's not enough you can always split it so I would say that's not really an issue (unless I'm misunderstanding). Rather, I would go for the quality of PSU's.

zicoz

Jan 7, 2011
Yes, Molex is the old 4-pin connector that's used on backplanes these days.

The thing is that I'd like to have "semi redundancy".

By that I mean that I have two different cables going to each "row" of connectors on the backplane, so if one cable/connector stops working it won't affect the system

Something like this:

Or most likely by using 4 cables.

Andreas

Aug 21, 2012
The thing is that I'd like to have "semi redundancy".
By that I mean that I have two different cables going to each "row" of connectors on the backplane, so if one cable/connector stops working it won't affect the system
Not sure how high you rate the probability that a cable will start to malfunction after initial checks, vs. that the single PSU will fail supplying power to the 2 cables.
rgds,
Andy