What is the idle power consumption of Dell's N3132PX-ON switch?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Usually when the manufacturer doesn't detail the power consumption in the datasheet it means it is going to be fairly inefficient...

anyone know the answer to this one?

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Unfortunately I also thought that was the one, until I realised that is the 'total' consumption include all POE at max.

What I was looking for was just the 'system' idle (or max) consumption.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
That depends to much on the configuration, how many ports are used, the rack/enclosure temperature, open vs closed server rack, the server/switches/router above or under the switch, rear to front vs front to rear airflow etc. ._.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
That is obvious. ;)

Aruba, Cisco and most SMB focused manufacturers often list the typical/max 'system' idle power usage.

However for this particular switch, there is absolutely no readily available numbers to work with whatsoever.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
If anyone here has this switch either in production use or in a lab environment, please do feel free to chime in at your convenience.

I might just go with a HPE Aruba equivalent for the client, gut instinct says the Dell is going to be in the region of around 200watts idle based on research thus far.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Why can't you work backward and remove max PoE? If they're not oversubscribed, then it's just a matter of removing 24/48 ports @30W or 32 @60W.

Reactions: Dreece

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Well I got a reply in the end, it's 175watts. Apparently they declare that in the Install Guide that comes with the switch. To hell with the pre-sale datasheet, friggin manufacturers do my head in sometimes. The Aruba is less than half that so will mention that in the purchase list and let them decide, the Dell has more umph but they don't need it and don't think they have any plans to need it later so leave it at that.