What in the ??? Binardat 4 Port 2.5G Switch with 2x10G SFP

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MountainBofh

Mar 9, 2024
Almost certainly another realtek chipset based switch. That's not a bad thing, as these realtek switches seem to work fine. STH has reviewed a bunch of them the past few years.

Shonk

Nov 25, 2016
I paid £15 inc vat and delivery for a HiSource 4 x 2.5Gbps 2 x SFT+ a couple of hours ago
the price has come right down on 2.5 Gbps

Reactions: NerdAshes

Shonk

Nov 25, 2016
Thats where i got mine it went on sale Midnight UK time £15.06 inc 20% vat and delivery ($15.88 excluding vat $19.06 inc vat )

NerdAshes

Jan 6, 2024
Eastside of Westside Washington
Almost certainly another realtek chipset based switch. That's not a bad thing, as these realtek switches seem to work fine. STH has reviewed a bunch of them the past few years.
I paid £15 inc vat and delivery for a HiSource 4 x 2.5Gbps 2 x SFT+ a couple of hours ago
the price has come right down on 2.5 Gbps
I've seen their reviews and I agree it's crazy how cheap these are getting.

It's the size of this switch that I can't wrap my head around. It's in that dude's palm! 4 2.5gpe ports, sure I can see that. 4 2.5gpe ports and 2 spf in that tiny box - just seems like a tiny mini-bake oven. Where do they even put the heatsinks? What's that mobo look like? Is the power brick bigger than the switch? What is the use case for it so small and not outdoor rated? Nahmeen?

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I've seen their reviews and I agree it's crazy how cheap these are getting.

It's the size of this switch that I can't wrap my head around. It's in that dude's palm! 4 2.5gpe ports, sure I can see that. 4 2.5gpe ports and 2 spf in that tiny box - just seems like a tiny mini-bake oven. Where do they even put the heatsinks? What's that mobo look like? Is the power brick bigger than the switch? What is the use case for it so small and not outdoor rated? Nahmeen?
It looks to be roughly the same size as the YuanLey/Davuaz/HiSource, etc. to me (possibly slightly larger even), so the size doesn't surprise me at all. :)

The manufacturers mentioned above put a small heatsink on the switch chip, but it's fairly power efficient so it doesn't really generate a lot of heat, especially if you avoid 10GBASE-T transceivers.

A smaller PCB and a smaller chassi reduces cost, while potentially also making the switch useful in a few more space constrained places. :)

I bought a HiSource switch like the YuanLey/Davuaz linked above as a spare switch and as a possible use as a 10GbE signal repeater/media converter that I might need later this year. During my testing of it since I received it back in December, it has been working perfectly. :)

Reactions: ms264556

NerdAshes

Jan 6, 2024
It looks to be roughly the same size as the YuanLey/Davuaz/HiSource, etc. to me (possibly slightly larger even), so the size doesn't surprise me at all. :)

The manufacturers mentioned above put a small heatsink on the switch chip, but it's fairly power efficient so it doesn't really generate a lot of heat, especially if you avoid 10GBASE-T transceivers.

A smaller PCB and a smaller chassi reduces cost, while potentially also making the switch useful in a few more space constrained places. :)

I bought a HiSource switch like the YuanLey/Davuaz linked above as a spare switch and as a possible use as a 10GbE signal repeater/media converter that I might need later this year. During my testing of it since I received it back in December, it has been working perfectly. :)
Wow I didn't know those were so small too!

That version you linked to, looks like it's not as deep, as the version I linked to. The Binardat is definitely not as wide though (judging by the port spacing to the frame). It has to have a different mobo because of that.

Curiosity got the best of me - I bought one - it'll be here tomorrow. I'll rip it apart and post some pix when it gets here.

Crazy how they can just stuff it all in tiny box and not cook things. SMDs are kewl eh? Sooner or later it'll just be ports with built in chips and power, you'll just get a 2x2cm thick strip of jacks to plug into. I bet it'll run off smiles.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Wow I didn't know those were so small too!

That version you linked to, looks like it's not as deep, as the version I linked to. The Binardat is definitely not as wide though (judging by the port spacing to the frame). It has to have a different mobo because of that.

Curiosity got the best of me - I bought one - it'll be here tomorrow. I'll rip it apart and post some pix when it gets here.

Crazy how they can just stuff it all in tiny box and not cook things.
Yeah, it's definitely the smallest switch I've ever owned. :D Regular 5 port 1GbE switches aren't that much larger though, so it's not like it's totally unprecedented.

Yeah, the shape is slightly different so I look forward to your pictures. :) Some of these switches have thermal pads on the bottom of the PCB to transfer heat to the case as well, so that's worth checking too when you have it open.

It sips power, so there probably isn't a lot of energy to convert to heat. :)

Reactions: NerdAshes

NerdAshes

Jan 6, 2024
I am used to seeing the tiny 4/5 port 1gps switches. I think it's the two SPF ports (with the four other ports) that have me intrigued. Just knowing that "normally" they run hotter and take up more space. Yet some how they stuffed them into the same tiny box a 4 port 1gps switch uses.
It "seems" like a bad idea, based on heat alone. That they appear to be reliable and work at expected speed, under load, is nothing less than impressive.
Makes you wonder why the big tech companies are not trying to save money and copy these switches, on a larger scale. I suspect it's us (me), the consumer - doesn't trust the design based on size alone. Maybe that's why the make a big empty box, packed with screaming fans.

NerdAshes

Jan 6, 2024

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Here's a couple of my old Netgear 1Gb switches switches vs the 2.5/10Gb replacements.
View attachment 35775
Sizes are definitely in the same ballpark.
Curious how your HiSource switch has a black case while mine comes with a grey one (same color as the Davuaz reviewed by STH). The sticker on the front looks to be the same though. :)

I am used to seeing the tiny 4/5 port 1gps switches. I think it's the two SPF ports (with the four other ports) that have me intrigued. Just knowing that "normally" they run hotter and take up more space. Yet some how they stuffed them into the same tiny box a 4 port 1gps switch uses.
It "seems" like a bad idea, based on heat alone. That they appear to be reliable and work at expected speed, under load, is nothing less than impressive.
Makes you wonder why the big tech companies are not trying to save money and copy these switches, on a larger scale. I suspect it's us (me), the consumer - doesn't trust the design based on size alone. Maybe that's why the make a big empty box, packed with screaming fans.
The small switches are normally fanless, even from more well known brands. If you avoid power hungry 10GBASE-T transceivers, SFP+ ports don't necessarily result in more heat than 1 or 2.5GbE RJ45 ports to any degree that would be an issue as far as I know.

The volume of air inside these doesn't necessarily look that much smaller since they are slightly taller when looking from the front sticker.

Also, Netgear, TP-Link, etc. tend to reuse their cases for the PoE-versions of their switches. These extra small ones don't have PoE versions using the same PCB and chassi as the HiSource/YuanLey/Davuaz shown above. Instead, they use slightly larger chassis to handle the additional heat and PCB space.

$20 after tax and shipping - I bought one too lol. I have zero need for these, guess I'll put Corosync on one and ... hmmm, maybe run cat6 to the shed?
You could also use two of these type of switches as media converters and run fiber to your shed. :D That way you don't risk frying the equipment on each end if you get a lightning strike hitting the cable.

Reactions: NerdAshes and nexox

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Yeah, its kind of crazy.

I recently got an 8 port all SFP+ 10Gb switch (XikeStor SKS8300-8x) that's about the same size as the Netgear 8 port Gigabit switch I keep in my spare parts box.

ATM, there's two devices connected with Optical Transceivers and one on a passive DAC. It's drawing only 9 watts with those devices, which is not much more than the Netgear Gigabit switch. Warm to the touch, but not hot. Even has L3ish management functions.

Not as inexpensive as these 2.5Gb switches, but I did catch it on a day that Amazon had done a temporary $20 price drop with an additional 17% off coupon in effect.

Reactions: blunden