What do you think of the new twins ATX PSUs?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
FSP now sells Twins ATX redundant PSUs FSP Twins 500W Redundant PSU Review

Is anyone looking into these? My take is that I would generally prefer a solid single PSU since I do not have A&B power in the office.

I would love to hear thoughts from others.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
I agree. And though it does look like they have some monitoring abilities over a USB connection, I much prefer having a more complete integration with the rest of the system management (eg. IPMI) for failure notification, monitoring, etc. Probably not easy to integrate their monitoring setup into other 3rd party solutions.

Reactions: Patrick

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
A niche market I think they are targeting, but the price isn't horrid for what appears to be a solidly build unit that would be a drop-in for a normal PSU vs the other redundant units I have seen in workstations in the past that required a non-standard PSU mounting.

I can see it for those cases where you have a workstation that has grown over time into something production (file server, has long running DB or rendering jobs etc) and want a less expensive upgrade without going for a full server chassis & motherboard.

Even without full a/b power this could have been useful with some of the international clients I have dealt with where power is a nightmare and any anything but reliable and stable. The ability to put an important workstation on 2 UPS units or just disconnect one supply and plug it into something else (you drag out the extension cord from the generator) makes life much easier.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
I think i would prefer regular PSU, if i really want dual UPS for a given machine I can stick it on the Auto Transfer switch which has two UPS attached

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
I am thinking if you know you need dual power for redundancy, you buy server grade components (chassis + dual power supplies).
Like Blinky42 said...niche.

^^ and mentioned (by pyro) as I was typing my reply ... I considered 2 UPS units + ATS for my lab

I can see myself spending 10% on Phanteks Innovative Computer Hardware Design for use in my lab vs. the FSP offering.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I see these as a great option while building your own servers, but not so useful outside of that off the top of my head, I like the idea though.

wiretap

Jul 14, 2015
Michigan
This is actually pretty awesome, and a great option to have available for desktop PC's and workstations. Where I work, we have divisional power for redundancy (literally two separate transformers and external grid lines coming from different switch yards). When we take out one division, it has to be a planned evolution with some of our computer equipment that is only on a single division. (non-server stuff not connected to both divisions) This will allow me to keep the PC's up and running with less operator impact. I think I'll order a few dozen of these right now :p

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
This is interesting, I think it's worth it for those servers that don't have redundant power supplies, currently my main firewall is on a single consumer (but solid) power supply, would be nice to have one of these in place of it.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Never use it. No point in it for desktop market. Server market maybe if you are running some NAS system and want dual psu's on the cheap.