What are my options for SAS3 disks?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Acrodony

May 31, 2020
Hey,

I'm looking for some advice with regards to a new server I'm trying to get off the ground.

It's a Dell PowerEdge R730 with a H330 mini monolithic HBA card flashed in IT mode running Proxmox on mirrored dual internal SD cards with 64GB of memory.

The R730 has a SAS3 (12Gb/s) back-plane and can hold 8 disks.

The server's purpose will be to virtualize all the things, including a Windows 10 VM using my Nvidia 980 Ti GPU. FreeNAS would have two pools; a RAIDZ2 pool consisting of one VDEV with 4x6 TB Seagate IronWolf drives that will be used purely for storing music, photos, documents, and another pool (hopefully) utilizing SAS 3 drives that will be used to store the Proxmox VMs. The SAS3 bit is more of an idea now as I'm not entirely sure if it's worth spending the extra money for the speed with my use case. I may be better off creating a RAIDZ2 pool with two VDEVS each with 4x6TB disks.

Having said that, this leaves me with 4 disks to put into my R730. What are my options for some decent SAS3 disks that are 800GB or so big, and aren't prohibitively expensive?

I live in Canada and it seems everywhere I look the cheapest SAS3 disks I can find will easily run me over $800.

Thank you.