WD ultrastar dc hc550 WUH721818ALN604 and DS1821+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tigo

Aug 30, 2023
Has anyone managed to get a 4kn drive working in the DS1821+ box?

I picked up a couple of drives - wd 18TB - dc hc550, and plugged one in to use. DSM was able to recognize the drive, but not initiatlize it, and when try to create a storage pool with it, or add it to an existing storage pool, - I'd be prompted the "the requirements for drive status are not met" error message.

Moving this post across to the Hard Drives and Solid States discussion area. Other threads are talking about the 4kn drives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

tigo

Aug 30, 2023
Update on the above. With a molex to sata adapter in the windows workstation. I managed to see the drive in Windows - but again, I wasn't able to use it. Windows utility couldn't initialize, create a partition table GUID / MBR - both failed.

The command

hugo format -g \\.\PhysicalDrive<n> -b 4096 --fastformat

Failed: Format command Failed on device. Device will not be formatted.

no luck

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I would try booting a parted magic live cd/usb and try formatting the drive there as well as running smart short and long tests--could be doa.

tigo

Aug 30, 2023
I would try booting a parted magic live cd/usb and try formatting the drive there as well as running smart short and long tests--could be doa.
It was a completely DOA unit. Just had it replaced, and it's replacement worked straight up. All good :)