WD Green Drives on Naked IBM BR-10I?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dealcorn

Oct 12, 2011
If I can find the right Atom N2600 motherboard (4 PCIe lanes in an X8 slot, msata, dual GB Ethernet, solid capacitors), I want to buy an IBM BR-10I that will be used with my existing WD green 2TB drives in a raid 6 configuration. On first impression that does not work but, if I understand the Wiki article on TLER properly, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Limited_Error_Recovery, it may be good. There is no issue with mdamd (Linux) and you should be able to avoid the timeout issue with an IBM BR-10I by fiddling with the firmware to increase the disconnect timeout (BIOS Raid Config Utility > Advanced Device Properties). Is my understanding correct and has anyone verified it is possible to adjust this parameter?

I am comfortable if it slows the array as long as it does not break. I am also comfortable that the controller may limit recognized drive size to 2.2 TB. Lastly, has anyone had actual success or failure running this controller naked (no bracket)?

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
There are Atom Mobo's with PCIe 16x slots, not sure how many lanes are available.

My broken firmware Dell H200 card has no bracket and it would work just fine.
Only issue would be if you fiddled with the HDD cables and it would work loose from the PCIe slot.
Brackets are cheap as chips so no biggy in getting one, I think the wholes to mount them are pretty standard now.
The H200 came with a clamp like device that sits over the PCIe slot to hold in better, not sure if it really makes a difference.