VRM modify ICC_MAX to run high TDC/TDP OEM processors

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Well, just installed the 1100w power supplies and it still wont boot with both cpu installed.
and you are sure you updated both VRM controllers ?
you may do the procedure again: my c# console app will report "ICC_MAX already 255A - modification skipped."

Last edited:
Reactions: codypendant

codypendant

Jan 12, 2024
and you are sure you updated both VRM controllers ?
you may do the procedure again: my c# console app will report "ICC_MAX already 255A - modification skipped."
I will test again tomorrow. Don't feel like opening this thing up again today lol. It's been a long day.

Reactions: RolloZ170

awaitnil

Apr 26, 2024
@RolloZ170

Hello, may I ask if it is possible to modify ICCMAX for "Inspir NF5280M5"? I am currently running two 8272CL CPUs on this server. The problem I am currently facing is that the motherboard of this server does not provide power to the CPU.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Hello, may I ask if it is possible to modify ICCMAX for "Inspir NF5280M5"? I am currently running two 8272CL CPUs on this server. The problem I am currently facing is that the motherboard of this server does not provide power to the CPU.
5270 was done (not by me)
locate the vrm controllers, should be MP2955A too and the I2C headers

awaitnil

Apr 26, 2024
Hello sir, it's like this.
Currently, apart from having a hardware server, I have nothing else.
May I ask what I need to prepare? Please let me know so that I can make a purchase. Thank you.

awaitnil

Apr 26, 2024
@stifler95

I am currently assembling my own server. Two 8272CL need to be installed, but we encountered an issue with the motherboard not supplying power to the CPU. After Mr. RolloZ170's notification, we confirm that you have succeeded. I want to learn from you.

sir, may I ask if you can provide a physical diagram of the motherboard and a diagram of how to connect the corresponding wires? I need your guidance for teaching. Thank you very much, looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
May I ask what I need to prepare? Please let me know so that I can make a purchase. Thank you.
i recommend the (Adafuit 4471 ) MCP2221a device, it is the cheapest device and supports 3 different vrm controllers.
and some dupond wire/cable, or best is Stemma QT/Qwiic cable ( Adafuit 4397 )

awaitnil

Apr 26, 2024
i recommend the (Adafuit 4471 ) MCP2221a device, it is the cheapest device and supports 3 different vrm controllers.
and some dupond wire/cable, or best is Stemma QT/Qwiic cable ( Adafuit 4397 )
Please forgive me, I don't understand this either, as this is my first time reverse engineering something at the hardware level.
So I bought a lot of things according to everyone's chat content, such as CH341A, Adafruit MCP2221A, EVKT-USBI2C-02 USB MPS I2C PMBus MPS
I hope they can work according to what your brothers said and what you said.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Please forgive me, I don't understand this either, as this is my first time reverse engineering something at the hardware level.
you don't need reverse engineering.
so you have this item, you see GND, SCL and SDA. these 3 pins we need to connect to the motherboard.
now you need to find the 3pin header/connectors to access the VRM controller.
i can not help with that becaus id don't have (and never will get) a Inspur NF5280M5 or any other.

i made a c# console app for this device. download here

awaitnil

Apr 26, 2024
you don't need reverse engineering.
so you have this item, you see GND, SCL and SDA. these 3 pins we need to connect to the motherboard.
now you need to find the 3pin header/connectors to access the VRM controller.
i can not help with that becaus id don't have (and never will get) a Inspur NF5280M5 or any other.

i made a c# console app for this device. download here
Thank you very much. I am waiting for these devices to arrive, and I am still slowly searching for these interfaces. If I can't find it, I will take photos with my camera and seek help from my brothers.
Actually, I still have some questions. Will these operations damage the motherboard? If they fail, what should I do.

awaitnil

Apr 26, 2024
we want to make CPU with TDC=255A working,
any handling can damage the board, esd damage, if you need to solder,

look for other "supported" processors, ( not 8272CL or other high TDC SKUs )
Ok, I will do this work strictly according to the teaching method. When I encounter something I don't understand, I will come here to ask my brothers. Thank you very much for your reply!!! ;)

codypendant

Jan 12, 2024
@RolloZ170 yes sir, you were right! Got it to boot with both CPU installed! Evidently, I didn’t flash both VRM. Just opened her up and checked again and address “60” was still unflashed. Don’t know how I missed that, but I did! Thank you sir for all your knowledge and helping everyone out! Would love to buy you some beers!

awaitnil

Apr 26, 2024
@RolloZ170

I found some information about the I2C interface, but I'm not sure which one I should connect to.
Please help me identify it, brother. Thank you very much.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I found some information about the I2C interface, but I'm not sure which one I should connect to.
Please help me identify it, brother.
MPS I2C dongle: the SCL/SDA/GND is bridged/shorted together for daisy-chain.
just connect to one side.

check what VRM controller is used, (red square) image is unclear.
VRM_I2C0_PWR_80.jpgVRM_I2C1_PWR_70.jpg
I2C0_PWR
I2C1_PWR
measure(multimeter) if Pin1 is GND. if yes, pin2 should be SCL, pin3 SDA.

Reactions: awaitnil

awaitnil

Apr 26, 2024
MPS I2C dongle: the SCL/SDA/GND is bridged/shorted together for daisy-chain.
just connect to one side.

check what VRM controller is used, (red square) image is unclear.
View attachment 36400View attachment 36401
I2C0_PWR
I2C1_PWR
measure(multimeter) if Pin1 is GND. if yes, pin2 should be SCL, pin3 SDA.

Module model: PXE1610CDN G003
Address Introduction: https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/pro...gital-multiphase-controllers/pxe1610cdn-g003/

Do I need to purchase another multimeter? ;)