VPN and Remote Access - non-static IP

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
I have two sites. A flat and house.

House has ADSL, IP whilst not static doesn't change very often.

Flat situation somewhat different. 4G mobile broadband x 2 - one through modem, other tethering to phone. Both are limited to 20GB a month. Very slow and flaky but unlimited public wifi is available. IP address can and does change.

I'm going to have a TrueNAS box at each site. Windows and Linux machines as well.
I've an old wi-fi router from ISP that I will install OpenWRT. Plhoan is to use it to connect to the public wifi (BT-Wifi) and hopefully it'll have a more stable wifi connection.

What I'm a bit confused about is how to deal with dynamic IP.
With VPN, do you need static IP at both ends?

You get the idea.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: Samir

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
1. For ASDL, set up DynDNS service updater with any number of free providers, then you can access via a hostname. Ideally set it up on your router, but TrueNAS also has one.
2. For 4G, the IP address assigned by your carrier is normally not a public IP address unless you pay extra for a public/static IP address.

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
There are a lot of things I don't quite understand.

eg.
2. For 4G, the IP address assigned by your carrier is normally not a public IP address unless you pay extra for a public/static IP address.
But, you know, there are a ton of VPN products aimed at mobile devices. Vaguely understand tunnel. There are also fail-over products from ISPs that do wired broadband to 4/5G stuff. I'm based in the UK and I'm probably signed up to a service that might do it but probably in a very opaque way.

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
But, you know, there are a ton of VPN products aimed at mobile devices. Vaguely understand tunnel. There are also fail-over products from ISPs that do wired broadband to 4/5G stuff. I'm based in the UK and I'm probably signed up to a service that might do it but probably in a very opaque way.
Yes, there are many outbound, so called privacy, VPN services that allow you to disguise your location and encrypt traffic up to the exit node of the VPN.

In the US, most carriers assign a dynamic private IP address for cellular broadband. So even if you set up DynDNS over a mobile broadband connection, you will not be able to connect to the private IP address remotely.

For your situation, you might want to consider using Tailscale to set up a virtual VPN network for all your sites, which will traverse NAT performed by any of your providers and does not require one to open ports on any of your firewalls. Works on any client and mobile devices. They have a free tier.

If you already use pfSense® - World's Most Trusted Open Source Firewall for your firewall, pfSense already has an add on package for tailscale.

Last edited:

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
Building off of what @elvisimprsntr said, some ISPs and all mobile phone operators use carrier-grade NAT (sometimes abbreviated cgNAT) to provide IP addresses. Basically, your phone isn't provisioned an IP address on the public internet, but instead is provisioned one on an internal network and a centralized service routes traffic to and from the phone.

In those circumstances, something like a dynamic DNS service isn't useful because those services provide a static name for a non-fixed endpoint on the public internet. This is usually done with a small program on your router that pings a server every once in a while to say "hey, here's my public IP address." The server then just updates the redirect and moves on. If your router's IP address isn't accessible from the public internet, as it is in a cgNAT situation, you haven't really solved that problem.

Tailscale is a solution to this problem, as it serves as a relay on the public internet both sides can reach. You tunnel into Tailscale at both ends and they take care of the routing between the tunnels. It would be useful to hear a bit more about what your router situation is at the flat; if you're just using the old ISP router as a bridge between public WiFi and a wired network, you'll likely want to configure Tailscale there as well as on the devices that are wirelessly connected to the 4G hotspots (provided access to the virtual network from those devices is a requirement). That will likely be easier than figuring out how to jack a router into a 4G connection and manage two LANs at the flat.

(If you're adverse to Tailscale there are ways to host your own relay box with a cloud instance, but that might be a bit of a pain.)

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Besides Tailscale (and Teleport) you can also use STUN and TURN etc. for NAT traversal.

As for what a true solution in this case is: don't use low bandwidth or data-capped locations for mass storage. You can store it elsewhere and use remote access to the storage instead, that way data changes are limited to the WAN speed anyway and thus no high-load reconciliation is needed.

Last edited:

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
I just configured Tailscale between two pfSense sites in less than 30 minutes. One is behind double NAT. I just watched the video from the pfSense blog post while following along.

Last edited:

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I actually run ipsec tunnels over dynamic IP. Every few years the tunnels break because of an IP change, but most of the time a tunnel breaks because an isp has an issue and then the tunnel comes back up.

If you are using cellular, you will need to see if you have a true public IP that can be hit. Otherwise the tunnel may need to be initiated client-server vs peer-to-peer.

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
I'll investigate the options that people have mentioned.

I am in the process of building the two TrueNAS boxes so there's no urgency (lots to learn before full deployment). I don't have to replicate all the data I have onto both boxes, only some. I can bring them together at some point, attach them to the same physical network.

Because sites are in 10 minutes walk of each over, sneakernet is a good option. How that works with TrueNAS, I dunno.

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
That's a very good question I'd not considered before.

No, no clear line of sight but close. In theory could put up a mast at home. I need to understand UK planning laws in terms of what antenna are permitted.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
That's a very good question I'd not considered before.

No, no clear line of sight but close. In theory could put up a mast at home. I need to understand UK planning laws in terms of what antenna are permitted.
Would probably be cheaper to get some sort of wired internet connection at each site than dealing with a point-to-point setup with masts and antennas.

Reactions: elvisimprsntr

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
The problem is that flat is only temporary. UK broadband providers want to lock you into long contracts.
Ah, I see. They want to do the same here in the US, but you can always ask what the 'non-contract' price is and it's usually only 5-10 more. I usually opt for that anyways just to cut some of the strings between an isp and myself--they always want to get their bloody hooks in my wallet!!

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
After long conversations with customer service, favoured ISPs don't offer the rolling one month contract. Flat infrastructure is copper managed by Openreach. No fibre optic possible.

TheUnknownThing

Aug 4, 2021
If you only want to access your TrueNAS Box over public network, there is no need to setup a VPN, you could use Dynamic DNS and register a domain.
If you want a more secure access (only between your houses), you could consider using ZeroTier or Cloudflare Tunnel. The former could establish direct P2P connection if your firewall policy is allowed, to ensure a better access speed. The latter will proxy your bandwidth through Cloudflare’s server, but it is fast enough to satisfy everyday usage.

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
If you only want to access your TrueNAS Box over public network, there is no need to setup a VPN, you could use Dynamic DNS and register a domain.
If you want a more secure access (only between your houses), you could consider using ZeroTier or Cloudflare Tunnel. The former could establish direct P2P connection if your firewall policy is allowed, to ensure a better access speed. The latter will proxy your bandwidth through Cloudflare’s server, but it is fast enough to satisfy everyday usage.
Good points. Caused me to reflect on requirements.

My wife is a management consultant. Her employers are rubbish at IT. A lot of her data is confidential and commercially sensitive. Sure, the business stores data "in the cloud" but harsh experience is that if employer supplied laptop is rendered non-functional for whatever reason, I'll be asked to fix it. It doesn't help that they purchase pretty consumer laptops rather than rugged tanks. You know, the type with soldered RAM and SSD.

An large external HDD should take care of her needs. Assuming her employer will cough up a decent back up solution.

Which makes things a lot simpler for me re data security. I've very little data that is confidential or subject to data protection.