Voltaire 4036E initial setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Guentha

Sep 21, 2023
I have 2 4036e switches I am hoping to replace 2 Mellanox InfiniScale IV IS5030 switches for the ethernet gateway functionality. I have the switch back to the default config and a 10g link up but there seems to be no configuration for the eth side. no DHCP options. I can't find the user manual online.

looking to set the switches up in a master-slave with 10gb ether bridged to the InfiniBand network with DHCP passthrough if that is possible.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
You probably won't find much help here. Those switches are ancient.

You'd be better off buying two of those very cheap SX6036 and unlocking them with the available licenses...

Guentha

Sep 21, 2023
You probably won't find much help here. Those switches are ancient.

You'd be better off buying two of those very cheap SX6036 and unlocking them with the available licenses...
They are ancient but they fill my need. I have seen plenty of activity in the past. I am not looking for anything fancy but I am looking to duplicate my current setup with the addition of etherenet as server 2022 has issues with smb and multiple connections.

currently, I have 2 IS5030 and each server has a dual port cart for redundancy (I know I am gaining no speed with dual port cards) they also have a 1gb connection to the internet ( no need for faster as I only have 1gb connection)

in server 2019 if I set mappings with IP it will go over the appropriate connection, in 2022 it now only goes over the 1 GB connection. it baffling and after months of working with Fourms and Microsoft engineers(we are platinum partners) there has been no progress. so I am looking to add ethernet bridging to our setup to eliminate the 1 GB connection altogether.

frankly, all I need is the user manual. there are tons of copies of the installation manual around but no user manual so we don't have much to go on. there is a group of network engineers playing with these switches right now but we are just poking around as we have no guidance and are used to Mellanox switches with no bridge.

Guentha

Sep 21, 2023
did you change the metrics for the 10gbe port/adapter?

Yes. we had the ethernet set to 10 and the InfiniBand set to 1. we worked for weeks with Microsoft support and no one could figure out how or why it was making this decision.

1g netwrok 172.16.50.X/24
40g netwrok 192.168.1.x/24

no connection between them as the 40g is Infiniband with no ethernet connection. we would connect to a 192.168.1.x device and transfer a file and it would go over the 1G connection without fail. this only happens on 2022 server. we have 2019 server and they work correctly. When hyperconverged clustering was enabled it ignored that hyper-v was only allowed over infiniband. all storage and hypervisor traffic chose the ethernet and it was super slow. the storage is 64 1.8tb 12gb sas and can easily saturate even the 40g connection but is super bottlenecked by a single gig connection.

I am actually excited to try and get the new switches working as it will eliminate 16 cables in the setup.