Virtualizing NAS + UTM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dataoscar

Dec 2, 2013
Hello,

Currently I am using WHS 2011 on an AMD E350 ( 2 x 1.6ghz ) for my storage needs.

I recently bought an ASRock E3C226D2I with the Pentium G3220 to do a UTM solution using pfSense. Through a friend I was able to aquire an i5-3470S, which is overkill for just running pfSense alone.

Since I have horsepower to spare, I would like to combine my NAS and UTM and possibly run them as guests. Something about running my NAS so close to the internet edge makes me feel uneasy though.

Has anyone had experience doing something like this, and can it be done securely?

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
I think the security aspects are overblown. If you have a vnic and only pfsense attaches to it, and it has no IP address in ESXi, it shouldn't be an issue...

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Encrypt your nuclear launch codes or keep them offline. Breaking out of VMs has been done, but if you're router is compromised they are already in anyway.