USA colocation questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Harmony

Oct 6, 2022
I'm from the UK, planning on getting some cheap colocation hosting in USA soon. Have a few questions hope you guys can help me out with as this will be my first rack.

Network stack plan is to use the following

2x Mikrotik CCR2116-12G-4S+
2x Mikrotik CRS326-24S+2Q+RM
1x CRS326-24G-2S+RM (IPMI)

Why Mikrotik? Well my thinking is with RouterOS7 BGP is stable and fast now, do not expect to be pushing more than 10Gbps+ ever and the main reason being power efficiency/price. I was going to go down the route of 2x Arista 7050s switches I don't see the point in my case it will mainly be L2 networking, the Mikrotik switches will be enough I don't want to waste power. Same goes for the routers but mainly cost. Sure MX204 is kind of the goto thing in DC racks it seems but I can't justify spending $10,000 on a router.

1) Now the tricky part of me I don't know much about, power circuits and what PDU to use. I am going to start off only needing about 2KW power and eventually upgrade. The power options are

20A/120V Power
30A/120V Power
20A/208V Power
30A/208V Power

So I will start on 20A/120V (16A usable) and work my way up to the full 30A/208. I don't know what APC PDU to buy (needs to support power management on each port). I can get a cheap AP8953 in UK but does it support 120V? I've been told the AP8953 has a connector of L6-30 so I'd need to buy a L5-20 connector?

2) What you suggest I get anything else in the rack like an ATS? Would that not be a central failure point vs having two APC PDU with A+B power feed I am not worried about the DC losing power.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
All the data centers I' looked at before settling into one a few years ago provided the PDU and A + B power options.
I'm sure some you can bring your own, but I didn't find that common when shopping around unless you were going for a cage or larger setup.

Harmony

Oct 6, 2022
All the data centers I' looked at before settling into one a few years ago provided the PDU and A + B power options.
I'm sure some you can bring your own, but I didn't find that common when shopping around unless you were going for a cage or larger setup.
Most the ones I reached out to do that too but this one doesn't.

Reactions: T_Minus