Update new disks

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mmmmmdonuts

Mar 22, 2012
Currently I have 4 (2x2tb) mirror configuration in my all in one server. (ESXi 5.0, OI151, IBM 1015 card) I have the data backed up and was looking to upgrade capacity. I have two 4tb drives that I was going to put in for two of the 2tb drives.

Do I just click replace in the web interface and then unplug the drive and put the new one in its place, let the one drive resliver and then do the same with the other drive? Are there any risks to doing this? Is there a good test bench I can run on the drives before I put them in to make sure they are good and shouldn’t cause problems? Any other things I should be aware of? Thanks.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
With napp-it, plug in the new 4TB disk
(either hot-plug or after a power off if your hardware is not hotplug capable)

When the new disk is detected, do a disks >> replace (2TB disk with 4 TB disk)
When the replace is finished, remove the 2TB disk
(either hot-unplug or after a power off if your hardware is not hotplug capable)

If poolproperty autoexpand is enabled, the new capacity is available when you replaced both disks of a mirror.

mmmmmdonuts

Mar 22, 2012
So do I put the disk in the same place first or do I hit replace first. The reason I am asking is I don't have a free slot available for a hard drive.