UnRaid goes the Broadcom way…

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
Unraid is still "pay once unless you want continuing support", which is exactly like the old VMware model (at least for the services I use).

Broadcom's new VMware licensing seems to imply that your VMware services (ESX, vCenter, etc.) will stop working if you stop paying.

Reactions: T_Minus

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Unraid is still "pay once unless you want continuing support", which is exactly like the old VMware model (at least for the services I use).

Broadcom's new VMware licensing seems to imply that your VMware services (ESX, vCenter, etc.) will stop working if you stop paying.
According to our VMWare / Broadcom tech rep the new licenses are NOT „self destroying“. They will continue to work, you just don’t get updates and you will break the licensing agreement (no glue if and how they plan on auditing…).

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
That's a lot better, in that if you have some sort of billing or renewal issue, your VMs won't just stop working.

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
Seems like the general consensus among users of UnRaid is that they're happy they are grandfathered under the old model but that the new model makes sense. They want the developer(s) to make money so they can hire more people to improve the product and generally people feel that's a fair deal. I believe the new highest paid tier of UnRaid under this new model will still give you lifetime updates- it'll just cost more.

I've personally never used UnRaid before. Looking at their website their Basic license covers up to 6 attached devices, Plus is 12 devices, and Pro is unlimited devices. The new model from reading the blog post will start at four devices, then unlimited, and finally it sort of insinuates unlimited with unlimited updates will be the new final sub tier but their wording is muddy- "Essentially the same" doesn't ring as 1:1.

Hopefully this gives them the cashflow they need to hire developers developers developers as a famous man once said.