Unifi has wifi 6 now! How cheaply can I get it into my house?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Planet____9

Jun 1, 2020
To preface, the networking noob I am didn't know that you didn't need a dream machine/cloud key to use Unifi WAPs so.....

I have one of those junk Xfinity routers because at the time we needed the VoIP, but the contract is ending soon, so I'm going to switch VoIP providers and finally have the ability to get a nicer modem, router, and wifi AP. I love the upgradability of Unifi and I'm willing to pay a bit extra for it. So, how cheaply can I get a good router, and does the UniFi Network Controller require more power than my Little Dual-Core can handle while also having plex in a docker under Unraid?

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
the only thing strongly required is unifi controller, that can be hosted on a vm.

you can use xfinity modem/router, they are not crap. if you want to have own switch(/router), i would consider smth with PoE. UDM is not poe capable.

Planet____9

Jun 1, 2020
the only thing strongly required is unifi controller, that can be hosted on a vm.

you can use xfinity modem/router, they are not crap. if you want to have own switch(/router), i would consider smth with PoE. UDM is not poe capable.
It works. Me saying that it's junk is based on the ~$12/month it costs. me replacing the router is to reduce that cost while the Unifi is to add better more expandable wifi. And since Unifi has a docker I think that the debate of what router to get is the most impact-full difference, currently, I'm leaning toward just getting an Unifi gateway as it is a router.

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
SB8200 + UniFi + CloudKey. Infrastructure done. Or: SB8200 + some OpenWRT router. Docker and everything else is optional and extra. :) Keep it simple.