Unable to remediate VSAN cluster? (SOLVED)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
So I decided to give VSAN a try. I already had 2 ESXi 6.7 hosts in a cluster, with an omnios NFS appliance. I repurposed the omnios appliance into host #3, installing a pass-through HBA omnios VM on one of the hosts. Works just fine. I already had several 1TB NVME cards, so I ordered a couple more (samsung pro 960 and 980). Each host has 2 - one each for cache and capacity. After a few false starts, I got a VSAN datastore running, and migrated the guests over to it. Becausing of a screwup with distributed switches, I ended up reinstalling all 3 hosts. Fun. Now to the problem: since all 3 hosts are running a quite old (15160138) ESXi, I wanted to remediate. I've done this a zillion times before with a vanilla cluster. Not with VSAN, apparently. I can't seem to do *anything* involving remediation! Whether it's a pre-check, staging, etc, I get a big white box in the middle of the window, with the canonical spinning blue&gray circle. Doesn't ever seem to stop. At one point, I left the house to run a couple of errands. Back in a little under an hour. Still spinning. I've checked everything I can think of and google isn't helping. I finally got desperate enough to start migrating everything back to the ZFS appliance, so I can destroy VSAN and actually update the 3 hosts. Any tips would be most appreciated!

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Hmmm, I think this was a red herring. VSAN completely gone, and I can't even attach a baseline. I'll be honest: it's been quite awhile since I set up the previous cluster, that I don't remember what exactly I did. Time to dig some more... Starting to think the VCSA install is borked. I installed an older one from VMUG download, and then updated to 50000 (?) it seemed to go okay, but maybe not. Try again...

Last edited:

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Well, dunno what the heck was wrong. I decided to test-drive the 7.0 VCSA (leaving hosts on 6.7 for now). Installed, updated VCSA, and now doing rolling updated of hosts. Go figure...

Reactions: ecosse