EXPIRED UK/EU - C240 M5 26sff - 40gbe

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

turbo

Mar 17, 2022
I finally got the extra parts in, got the SAS-HBA for the MRAID slot and Optane 900P in the riser for booting, used the Cisco HUU to update all the firmware, then hit my next blocker.

I stuck in a Toshiba HK4R 1.92GB SSD (referenced on one of the other deal threads here) I had sitting around. The system went to Platform "Amber" status, which apparently makes the fans go back into wind tunnel mode. The reason is strange:

Code:
%CIMC-3-SSD LIFE TIME LAPSE:[F46044][major][SSD life time lapse][sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-MRAID/pd-1] Storage Local disk 1 life time lapse: replace the storage drive 1
%CIMC-3-EQUIPMENT_DEGRADED:[F0996][major][equipment-degraded][sys/rack-unit-1/board/storage-SAS-MRAID/pd-1] Storage Local disk 1 is degraded: please take appropriate action by checking the detailed drive status
The drive has 200TBW, smart does not have a value for "life remaining" but does say no errors, 100% reserved space left.

Any clues how to acknowledge the error, tell it "the drive is fine, go on" ? I have the HBA passed through to TrueNAS so I'm not even sure how it's getting information about the drive...

If anybody knows where to find a firmware update for the HK4Rs that would be great too, I haven't been able to find anything.

Reactions: michel333

linuxmanbg

Jun 23, 2016
Nice, second riser and second cpu cooler for free, but looks like the rear storage slots are missing their backplane? Have fun with this Cisco!
Yeah no backplane for rear 2 drives neither FAN for it, 2nd riser card is more important for me than 2 drives backplane.

Last edited:

linuxmanbg

Jun 23, 2016
Well as an old dog download latest iso image from cisco.com cos FW is outdated:
sIMG_20230911_220656.jpg
around 2019y. for BIOS/CIMC,
factory reset for CIMC, old default password was "password" (surprise),
login to CIMC web site http://IP from dhcp server, lunch KVM , download ucs-c240m5-huu-4.2.3g.iso from cisco.com map to virtual DVD, boot from it and problem:
sIMG_20230911_235818.jpg Secure boot not allow booting of FW iso from OEM.
what to do after some google reading downloaded ucs-c240m5-huu-4.1.3l.iso , extract cimc.bin + bios.cap (using Linux's nautilus but only for M5 software work),
using web CIMC interface upgrade FW to CIMC using cimc.bin first update after that activate, waiting to reboot CIMC.
power off server , update BIOS using bios.cap , click activate , power server on, UEFI BIOS is updated.
next again try to boot from mapped iso this time successfully :
sIMG_20230912_014010.jpg

sas expander, FW RAID 12Gb, MLOM VIC 1387 + nic's X550 fw update complete ok.
server is ready to use but waiting to receive few drive caddy to install Linux on SATA SSD.
P.S. initial CPU is 4116 after FW upgrade test with 3204 (I was afraid V01 of server may not work) but processor is accepted.
RAM speed fall to 2133 :-(
hm now let find QS LGA3647 and test it. :)

Last edited:

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Nice, second riser and second cpu cooler for free, but looks like the rear storage slots are missing their backplane? Have fun with this Cisco!
The 2nd cpu cooler was first i noticed, they are 50€ area +ship/tax from what ive seen.
Considered buying those, the 2nd riser i dont need as much.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
My 4th unit is officialy lost and refunded, so either its picking up a 4th cheap somewhere or find something else i guess.

Same seller did post these dl380 G10 with the 8nvme cage and riser included.
Tempted to try 270-300£/ea for 4 of those instead.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
price is too high I guess, but.. that nvme cage alone costs more than they ask, but its old gen.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
price is too high I guess, but.. that nvme cage alone costs more than they ask, but its old gen.
The 600 is steep-ish for the spec.
Tho probably fair for being a gen10 in Europe (if you got the time to sell them 1 by 1 over months).

Their lot of 10 is 435/ea with vat, so they are willing to let them go for that.
Minus VAT and the typical 30% below offer and id be trying somewhere 250£ ex.vat as a start.

At that price its still not amazing for being that gen, but the bays do sweeten the deal.