Ubuntu or Freenas

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

skippytheturtle

Jun 17, 2015
Hi I am building a file server. I have the hardware all put together. I am second guessing myself for the operating system now.

Hardware
Motherboard: Supermicro X8DTE-F
CPU: (2x) Intel Xeon X5660
RAM: 24GB ECC DDR3 (Hynix HMT151R7BFR4C)
HBA: LSI 9211-8i Crossflashed to IT
Hard Drives: (4x) 3TB WD Reds more to come later if needed
Network: Dual Port 10Gb SFP+ Netxen (Qlogic) NX3-20G

I have been planning on using FreeNAS, but I am not sure if my network adapter will be recognized, I really want to use it (mostly for the wow factor) and to reduce bottlenecks.
I read Ubuntu + ZFS + iSCSI , does it work? [Archive] - Ubuntu Forums and it looks like Ubuntu supports everything I need.

Please let me know what you think.

THANK YOU!

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I'm not a fan of FreeBSD based systems so FreeNAS probably wouldn't be my choice. But lots of people use it and are very, very happy.

I'd choose Linux + ZoL + NappIT. Not sure I care Ubuntu vs Debian vs Centos, etc, but lately for most of the projects I've done I happened to choose Centos rather than Ubuntu. YMMV.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Well, keep in mind by definition - FreeNAS is an appliance and Ubuntu is an operating system.

Out of the box, FreeNAS has a WebGUI to setup and control your server.

I am a fan of FreeBSD and currently use & prefer FreeNAS. Note, they do have much more limited driver support.

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
I use quantastor for my home lab San. It's Ubuntu zol all rolled into an install package. I use it because it has easy integration with infiniband and a polished web ui and it's been very stable. I believe it supports the qlogic nics as well. They have a page to list hcl.

The free version only supports 10gb data... plenty for me for hot data Afa, but if you need unlimited storage, Piglovers combo is a great choice for zol.

I also use freenas for cold storage nas. Its been very stable as well, but lacks the driver support for many high speed nics and fabrics.

Reactions: RandyC

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The one thing I really like about Windows or Ubuntu is driver support. If this is something you are going to build for the specific OS and never touch it again then that is probably moot. But driver support for Ubuntu and Windows is ridiculously easy on a relative scale.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
If you're okay with block storage only, give ESOS a try. A linux-based storage distro that runs off a USB thumbdrive, using SCST for iSCSI target. Configuration using a TUI. ZFS support a recent addition...

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Why not selecting the OS at first place
- and then select/switch the nic based on that.

Your nic is the problem that hinders you to use any OS.
If it would be a common Intel, everything would be happy.

Reactions: T_Minus