U.2 nvme enclosure

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

outsider

Jan 21, 2017
I've been asked to build a "budget" NVMe storage box for a friend. The requirement is that it can handle 8 drives to start and have room to double. This will be built for a testing homelab environment.
(Yes, I realize that the words budget and NVMe don't really mix.)

Enterprise NVMe drives (in a 2.5" form factor) are expensive when new (more reasonable from ebay), and consumer NVMe (in the stick form) are more affordable.

Aside from a dedicated u.2 server from Supermicro, (which is outside the budget), do I go with a couple Icy Dock u.2 enclosure for (4 drives per enclosure)? And go with a U.2 controller? (what options do I have for this)
Or do i just get a few a couple of PCIe cards that can handle 4x NVMe sticks per card? and just add more cards as more drives are needed?

What are my options?

outsider

Jan 21, 2017
More performance oriented, with some room to grow in capacity. We were thinking of populating with 2TB drives to start.
There's also a 40Gbit network card going into that box to make use of the drive performance.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Your idea with the Ici Dock U.2 enclosures is a good start for a budget system.

I would add a mainboard like the X11SPH-nCTPF | Motherboards | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc. that comes with 2 x Oculink and M.2 onboard (together with 10G and SAS). Together with the PCI Slots for Oculink/M.2 adapters you can connect up to 10 NVme with 4 lanes each (either via Oculink -> U.2 or M.2 > U.2 cables)