Trying to install Nexenta and failing.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Alexander Matev

May 25, 2015
Hi all, this is my 1st post here, I've been reading some of the topics and I've deiced to try Nexenta, because of the awesome SRP target support .

So I'm trying to install Nexenta 4.0.3 CE on a USB stick. I am planning on running the OS on a HP Bl685c gen1 server blade ( AMD Opteron processor Model 8214 / 32gb RAM / 2 x 256gb ssds / 4xddr infiniband mezzanines ), bare metal installation, this will be my NAS for Vmware ESXi Lab and I'm hoping to be able to use SRP target via Infiniband and get to some nice speeds.
But I've run into a problem, the server blade doesn't have a CDROM, so I can't figure out how to install the OS . I've already tried to pass through a usb drive to a virtual machine, running on Oracle VirtualBox, so far so good, the installation went through, but when I try to boot from the usb stick, I only get to the 1st screen, giving me the choice to select the safe mode or the 64bit community edition. When I select the 64bit CE the loading begins and after that the machine reboots. If I slect the safe mode I get a prompt, but I have no idea what to do on that prompt. I've figured that the installation process with the VM has failed me, but can't be sure.

So my questions for now are :

1. How do I install Nexenta without CDROM ?

2. Why does the server reboot, when I try to use the usb I've installed through the virtual machine ? And is there a way to recover from the safe mode prompt ?

Thanks in advance. Any input is appreciated.

Alex

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I have not used Nexentastor for a quite long time but I would try
- if you have onboard Sata ports: Connect an Sata CDRom for setup
- try an USB CD-ROM

Another option: All-In-One (your MB must support IOMMU pass-through)
with a virtualized SAN VM. In such a case your internal connectivity
ESXi -> SAN NFS datastore can be done in software with several GB/s.
This allows you to use this box as a second ESXi machine.

Connect IB either to ESXi or use it via pass-through in NX

Reactions: Alexander Matev