truenas Core swap like that of pfsense

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jcizzo

Jan 31, 2023
I understand that TNC creates a small swap on the OS drives and then small swaps on all the other drives.

i don't like this arrangement at all.

does anyone know a way to set the swapfile system so that it resembles that of pfsense? i know i'm gonna be questioned.. it's a matter of preference. whether or not it's relevant doesn't matter, i'd just like to know.

for example; during a fresh install of pfsense, if there are multiple drives, they get raidz'd (mirrored 1+0 whatever it is... so the drives are mirrored, but they're read from as if they're striped),

and then i hit the down arrow a few times to where the swap is and i set it to the same size as my ram (so 16 or 32 or whatever), and i have the swap raided just like the installation partition..

with a TNC install it's all statically set without the ability to adjust.
and i don't want swap files put on all the other drives.. those are for storage, let them be for storage..

i don't know why iX built the installer the way they did.

for example, i have 2x 256GB SSDs as the OS drives. as you know, they're mirrored. i have 32GB ram... I want to have a 32GB swap partition to compliment the 32Gigs of ram.

yes, there are a few documents out there that show how to move it around etc.. but is there a way to stop all that completely and just have it all done at the installation so nothing gets put on the storage drives? again, just like it would be if it were a pfsense installation.

thanks!