Transceiver stopped working in an ex4300, but works in a different switch!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
I have an ex4300 switch, in it i have the Juniper EX-UM-4X4SFP add on card to give me 4x sfp+ ports.

I had an aquantia aqs-107 transceiver that worked perfectly for a couple years. then one day it just stopped working, i assumed the transceiver died. What's strange is i had some other transceivers that work fine in the switch, including rj45 copper transceivers.

After searching ebay for the past 8 months i found an auction selling aqs-107 transceivers and with the help of some whisky i bought the entire lot of 6. I only have need for 3 right now, i figured i'd have spares incase they died given how hard they are to find.

Well, i plugged every one of them in and they didn't work! I dug out an old dell switch i had out of my closet and guess what, every one of the transceivers work! including the one i thought was dead for the past few years.

But every one of the Aquantia transceivers are dead when i plug them into the in the juniper switch... but other brand transceivers power up fine!?

I have looked in dmesg, i have run "show chassis hardware" and "show chassis pic fpc-slot 0 pic-slot 2" and when i plug any aquantia transceiver i have into the switch i get zero output.

But if i put fiber or copper transceivers in of other makes, mikrotik, fs.com, and some random ebay one, they all come up and show up just fine.

Any ideas what may be going on here and how i can fix this? I'm wondering if it's some kind of hardware issue and maybe the add on card let out some magic smoke that's only affecting these transceivers?

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
little more info, when i plug the transceiver into the juniper switch /var/log/messages starts spamming messages like this:

Nov 21 20:15:45 SW01-EX4300 pfex: [EX-BCM PIC] phy_BCM84756_edc_complete_wait: EDC configuration not complete 0x8e40 port 52
Nov 21 20:15:45 SW01-EX4300 fpc0 [EX-BCM PIC] phy_BCM84756_edc_complete_wait: EDC configuration not complete 0x8e40 port 52