Topton N5105 Unraid mediaserver / Synology DS220+ / Synology DS1821+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

martijn1980

Dec 31, 2023
Hi all,

After watching the Serve the Home channel a lot on youtube i've learned a lot about energy efficient setups.
I thought i'd share my setup on the forums.
I've splitted my "server" hardware in 3 devices to be as energy efficient as possible for my usecase.

1. Mission critical applications run 24/7 on the Synology DS220+ and uses 4 watts only !!
I have 2x4 TB Samsung SSD's mirrored in here and 6Gb of RAM
This nas is being used for Synology Photo (for my mobile) backup and in and through Portainer i have PiHole, Unifi Controller, Home Assistant and Twingate (VPN) running.

2. Media serving is being handeled by the Topton N5105 mini ITX build in a Fractal Design Node 304 and draws 24Watts idle (37Watts under load).
This server doesn't need to be on during the night or when im at work, i always can switch the server on from anywhere via a smartplug from the Tapo app as this motherboard supports always on wheren power is connected.
There's 32Gb DDR4 memory and 4x18Tb HDD's for a total of 54TB usable space, also there's 2x NVME 1TB ssd's in mirror for the apps and a 2TB SSD download/scratch drive.
On this server im running Plex, Radarr, Sonarr, Sabnzb and Resilio Sync (for backup).
The N5105 can handle 1-2 encodes but this rarely happens as 99% is being direct streamed in my home.
I love this little system and it does everyting i need it to do with no hickups.

3. Backup NAS Synology DS1821+ runs only on friday during daytime (when sun shines free power from solar panels) and uses about 35Watts idle (80Watts disks spinning).
In this NAS i've got 7x8Tb HDD's for a total of 43,6Tb of usable space and 4GB of RAM, i dont use the cache NVME slots as there is no need for this in my case.
The NAS only serves as a backup for my DS220+ NAS through hyper backup and also as a backup for my Unraid server media wich is being synced through Resilio Sync.
I would have opted for a cheaper backup solution but i had this hardware already so i thought i'd better put is to use.

I love this setup because it's very flexible and low power but still handles all my needs.
If anyone has suggestions how to imporove i would love to hear them.

Have a great new years eve tonight!

Cheers

Reactions: Marsh