Synology NAS Decision

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hazily2019

Jan 10, 2023
'Ello.

I am trying to decide between Synology NAS DS1522+ and the Synology NAS DS1621+. If anyone has either of these units please fill me in as to what you like vs don't like about these units.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
DS1621+, while a year older, gets you a better CPU, extra drive bay, and the ability to use a regular PCIe 10GbE NIC (get an Intel one, not the Synology branded ones) vs the expensive proprietary ones. I have multiple DS2419+, so I can't speak as to those two models specifically, but can give you a rundown as to what I do and don't like about Synology in general if that would be of interest. Software wise, they're really all the same.

Reactions: NerdAshes

Hazily2019

Jan 10, 2023
See I am able to get either the DS1522+ with a 10GB NIC and an extra 8GB RAM or the DS1621+ with a 10GB NIC and 8GB RAM extra module for $850 vs $950 refurbished. I am just trying to pick which one would be nicer to have. My use case is mostly desktop backups (incremental and differentials) and to host a couple of VMs ... just the basic stuff.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Double the core count for VMs would be a compelling reason to go with the DS1621+ then I'd say given the small price difference. Outside of that, you're going to notice no real difference between the two.

NerdAshes

Jan 6, 2024
Eastside of Westside Washington
DS1621+, while a year older, gets you a better CPU, extra drive bay, and the ability to use a regular PCIe 10GbE NIC (get an Intel one, not the Synology branded ones) vs the expensive proprietary ones. I have multiple DS2419+, so I can't speak as to those two models specifically, but can give you a rundown as to what I do and don't like about Synology in general if that would be of interest. Software wise, they're really all the same.
I agree with the DS1621+ over the DS1522+

It can also use the E25G21-F2 dual 25gps NIC.

I too wouldn't mind talking about the Synology walled-garden pros and cons... and why you should see what BlueFox has for sale, that you can use as superior NAS for a lot less $$$.

The AMD based Synology NAS devices, are also not very good as media servers - just something to think about if that is in your plans.

Last edited:

NerdAshes

Jan 6, 2024
Eastside of Westside Washington
Basically need this for a work to back up 4 computers....
I have plopped a ton of Synology into SMBs over the years (was even a partner with them for a bit). They never gave me issues and they were simple for me to remotely manage. That said - they are expensive for what you get. Your 4 PC backup and a couple VMs, needs are very small.
  • How experienced are you with installing a Linux OS, setting up network shares and using QEMU?
If the above is "I can copy paste into a CLI", then you can save a lot of cash setting up your own NAS.
If the above is "I can't and don't have the time to look into it" then a Synology NAS DS1522+ is more than enough NAS for your needs and the $100 more, does get you slightly better box, for not a lot of extra cash, in the DS1621+. The "RackStations" are nice too - if you have a rack and get a deal on them.

Reactions: PBondurant