Supermicro X9SCM-F and I3-2120

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BennyKing

Dec 21, 2021
Hello
I am new here, and new to "real" server hardware and was wondering if the supermicro X9SCM-F will take consumer grade CPUs?

I currently run a 22 drive home server based on a consumer asrock z77-extreme4-m/i3-2120/2x8gb ddr3 12800 1600mhz RAM, with dual IBM1015 IT flashed, but this board is showing some age related signs and i was contemplating buying a supermicro on ebay and using the cpu/cooler/ram from the asrock, would this work?

Are there any specifics i should know using server mainboards vs consumer boards?

Thank you very much

marv

Apr 2, 2015
Hi, X9SCM will not take i5 and i7.Your i3 should be fine. But you also need ECC UDIMM memory. non-ecc or RDIMM wont work.

BennyKing

Dec 21, 2021
Hi, X9SCM will not take i5 and i7.Your i3 should be fine. But you also need ECC UDIMM memory. non-ecc or RDIMM wont work.
Thank you.. This makes it way too expensive then.
Do you know if there Is any supermicro model that takes ordinary ram and consumer grade CPUs? I need 2x8 PCIe which i can no longer find on consumer boards.

RobertCO

Jan 2, 2022
I'm about to list a X9SCM-F with an i3 quad core and 32GB ram. rock solid for years. Shoot me an offer if you are interested.