Supermicro x9 swr-f fan issue (Not Noise)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Curggles

May 4, 2020
For some reason all the sudden my x9 swr-f started reporting fans 3 and 4 as failed but I have no fans connected to those headers. It was fine yesterday but powered up tonight ran for abit then that happened and all the fans rammped up to full. did a reset and fans are normal again but still showing fain fail error and can't get rid of it.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I have seen a dirty board cause this kind of behaviour in the past, usually around the headers. Try brushing the board with a soft paintbrush and use a vacuum to capture the dust. A bad solder joint could cause it, or even a flaky BIOS/ BCM. Sometimes just a re-flash clears up mysterious issues like these :)

Curggles

May 4, 2020
Interestingly enough what i have found so far is i have windows 10 pro on it right now just an os to test it out just after recieving the unit be fore putting it to work. I actually had HWmonitor running when this happened which i didnt really think to mich about. I powered the unit down and i had reseated the ram before all this so i thought id check all connections inside and reseat the ram once again. Restarted and everything was great for like 6 hours. Then i opened hw monitor and within 5 min of it being open the exact same thing happeneD IN ABOUT THE SAME TIME FRAME IT HAPPENED THE FIRST TIME. i dont know why HWmonitor would do this but it seems like its causing it cause i had put the machine through some vsrying workloads for 6 hours but seems like hwmonitor is insta death lol.