- Dec 21, 2010
UPS just delivered a second-hand Supermicro X7SPE-HF-D525 that I will be using as a pfsense server. For those wondering the X7SPE-HF-D525 is the slightly elongated version of the mITX X7SPA-HF-D525 motherboard. Other than the length of the board, they are basically the same.
- Atom D525 1.8GHz dual core CPU (Older versions without the "-D525" were Atom 510 based CPUs and therefore used DDR2 DRAM)
- 2x DDR3 SODIMM slots supporting up to 4GB (rumor has it 8GB works though)
- 6x SATA connectors since this Atom is paired with what is basically a Intel ICH9R southbridge. This is much better than the standard NM10 2x SATA ports
- Dual Intel 82574L Gigabit controllers onboard
- The HF variants have IPMI 2.0 including KVM-over-IP while the H variants do not (e.g. X7SPA-H-D525 does not while the X7SPA-HF-D525 does)