supermicro x12sdv-4c-spt4f cpu cooling

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FrankTL

Aug 9, 2022
Just received this motherboard, and am bummed that the cpu heatsink is completely flat at the top. The fins are aligned perpendicular to the rear IO panel, and the mini-itx case I intended to use only really allows for airflow directly from above the cpu or parallel to the rear IO panel.

Bit stumped on what to do... Guess either have to find a replacement heatsink that isn't closed at the top, or find a different case (like perhaps a supermicro cse-e300 ?).DSC_0786~4.JPG

Last edited:

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
CSE-E300 has normal front-to-back airflow, no? 3x 40mm fans in front, blowing straight across the cpu heatsink and ram, and out the rear I/O? You could fashion an air shroud if you like, but as long as the fans are pushing sufficient static pressure (e.g., not super low-speed Noctuas) it should work as designed.

FrankTL

Aug 9, 2022
Yes the cse-e300 seems to do the job, but I was hoping to avoid it as it is reported to be rather noisy. Sounds like there might not be many other options unfortunately.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Ah sorry I misunderstood and thought you were having difficulty with the CSE-E300. If you're in a tower or similar thick case, you might still make an air shroud to direct the case fan airflow through the heatsink. You could also just ziptie a 92mm or 120mm fan blowing down on the heatsink and keep an eye on temps. I have an X11SDV running that way, 42C idle, not great, but good enough. I rarely stress the little Xeon-D.

FrankTL

Aug 9, 2022
Ah sorry I misunderstood and thought you were having difficulty with the CSE-E300. If you're in a tower or similar thick case, you might still make an air shroud to direct the case fan airflow through the heatsink. You could also just ziptie a 92mm or 120mm fan blowing down on the heatsink and keep an eye on temps. I have an X11SDV running that way, 42C idle, not great, but good enough. I rarely stress the little Xeon-D.
Ziptie was the original plan, but the heatsink unexpectedly is flat at the top. This means no air will pass between the heatsink fins when forced from above, and I fear very poor cooling performance.

I haven't seen this type of heatsink before on supermicro boards, and the review of the 16 core part by servethehome shows an open design (vs closed on my board). Slightly surprised on why mine should be different!

badhabit

Oct 3, 2022
Where did you guys purchase the X12SDV-4C-SPT4F? They seem hard(impossible) to source, especially here in europe :-/