Supermicro X11SCA-F Bios update issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

koaly

Dec 19, 2023
Hello everyone,
I have got the Supermicro x11SCA-F used on eBay and tried to update the BIOS from v2.1 to v2.2. The BIOS file downloaded from the Supermicro and the readme.txt tells about flashing from USB drive in EFI shell. There is a remark that Flash Descriptor Table (FDT) code will be compared and if it does not match I will need to change a jumper setting and it will autostart and proceed.
Unfortunatelly I have got an error message
mv: File not found - 'fdtx64.efi'
mv: File not found - 'afuefix64.efi'

and the process stopped bringing me to the root folder. The missing files are not included into any of BIOS packages, which I found.
Could you please help to understand what I did wrong. The photo of the screen is attached.

Attachments

MountainBofh

Mar 9, 2024
you need to run "flash.nsh huge-long-bios-file.bin"

You can hit tab to command complete the giant file name so you don't have to type all of it.

Reactions: koaly

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
The BIOS file downloaded from the Supermicro and the readme.txt tells about flashing from USB drive in EFI shell.
and it tells you:
Code:
1. Save this BIOS update package to your computer.

2. Extract the files from the UEFI folder of the BIOS package to a USB stick. (Note: The USB stick doesn't have to be
   bootable, but has to be formatted with FAT/FAT32 file system.)

3. Plug the USB stick into USB port, boot to the Build-In UEFI Shell, selectable item in boot menu by pressing F11 key
   during boot up, and type FLASH.nsh BIOSname#.### to start the BIOS update:

Shell> fs0:
     fs0:\> dir
     fs0:\> cd <your directory>
     fs0:\your directory>flash.nsh <BIOS file>

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
pls don't write "flash.nsh <BIOS file>"
replace "<BIOS file>" with the filename of your BIOS file, in this case "BIOS_X11SCA-1A1D_20230908_2.2_STDsp.bin"
you can rename it before saving to the USB drive to make it easier.

"

koaly

Dec 19, 2023
you need to run "flash.nsh huge-long-bios-file.bin"
pls don't write "flash.nsh <BIOS file>"
replace "<BIOS file>" with the filename of your BIOS file, in this case "BIOS_X11SCA-1A1D_20230908_2.2_STDsp.bin"
you can rename it before saving to the USB drive to make it easier.
Hello guys,
many thanks! I missed this part in the readme, because with Asrock boards it was not required in the past.
Everything worked like a charm! BIOS updated, although it showed that two parts of the memory (FDR and DER2) have not been programmed, because they are locked (see photo attached).
Is it a problem and I need to roll back the previous BIOS version or it is something I should not worry about?
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You're good. I will mention that normally it's only advised to update UEFI if you have a technical reason to do so.

sko

Jun 11, 2021
You can very easily update the BIOS on Supermicro boards via the IPMI web interface. There's no need to fiddle around with USB-sticks or even be anywhere near the system...

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Everything worked like a charm! BIOS updated, although it showed that two parts of the memory (FDR and DER2) have not been programmed, because they are locked (see photo attached).
they are locked, but you are noted if the updater wants to flash a new version, also described in the readme.
Code:
a. If a different FDT is found, user need to switch JPME2 to 2-3 and press any key to continue update otherwise FDT parts won't be updated.
      A new file, STARTUP.NSH, will be created and the system will go into reboot in 10 seconds.
      At the reboot, hit "F11" key to invoke the boot menu & boot into the build-in UEFI Shell again.
      The BIOS update will be resumed, automatically.

koaly

Dec 19, 2023
You can very easily update the BIOS on Supermicro boards via the IPMI web interface. There's no need to fiddle around with USB-sticks or even be anywhere near the system...
This board does not offer BIOS update option in IPMI, unfortunately. I updated BIOS on other server boards via IPMI, though (e.g. Gigabyte MC12).
Maintenance BMC.jpg

koaly

Dec 19, 2023
they are locked, but you are noted if the updater wants to flash a new version, also described in the readme.
Thanks for the remark. I did not recognize that the locked FDR and DER2 belong to FDT. As I understood it can be unlocked via a jumper on the motherboard and it would be required if the new FDT is different from the current one. In my case it was the same as the BIOS version was only one step update.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Thanks for the remark. I did not recognize that the locked FDR and DER2 belong to FDT. As I understood it can be unlocked via a jumper on the motherboard and it would be required if the new FDT is different from the current one
the jumper puts ME in manufacturing mode to enable flashing the locked regions.
well if there is a new ME version you need the jumper method. but afaik you will still noted about.