Supermicro WIO slots compatbility?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nagakura

May 12, 2021
Hi

I'm trying to figure out how these WIO slots on certain Supermicro MBs work. Ive the 9DRD-iT+ MB and it has "weird" riser slots, partially using standard PCIe connector (but physically displaced), partially using custom connector.

Do anyone know if I can plug any WIO riser into a WIO slot? (eg any LHS WIO riser into any motherboard with LHS WIO slot?). Or are these slots proprietary per motherboard, says the pinout on given motherboard is not compatible with other supermicro MBs WIO slots?

Did anyone experiment with these slots?

There is a riser card matrix on Riser Card Matrix | Supermicro

however they match the riser type AND chasis type to the riser card, so it only says you can plug XX riser into YY system/case with ZZ motherboard (which doesn't actually mean you can't plug these risers if you have a custom, not supermicro case....). So for instance if I build it up on a table without a chasis - for testing - would any WIO riser that physically fits the WIO slot work on the motherboard? Or will it short e.g. 5V to GND and RIP motherboard?

anyone knows?

thanks

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
From my experience all of the WIO LHS/RHS risers I've used worked fine on all the x9/X10 series WIO motherboards I've had. I'm not aware of any special ones that are specific to one motherboard, but all I can offer is my experience which is they are largely compatible.

nagakura

May 12, 2021
From my experience all of the WIO LHS/RHS risers I've used worked fine on all the x9/X10 series WIO motherboards I've had. I'm not aware of any special ones that are specific to one motherboard, but all I can offer is my experience which is they are largely compatible.
thanks for your reply

would any of them:

RSC-W-68
RSC-R1UW-E8R

work on X9DRD-iT+ ?

One is LHS the other is RHS, they seem to fit mechanically, but supermicro support says "uhm, ehm, EOL, we never tested".

They recommend instead RSC-R1UW-2E16 or RSC-R2UW-2E8E16+ or RSC-R1UW-E16, that's what they tested apparently.

From the riser matrix I can see only one difference is these three above say "autodetected YES", while RSC-W-68 and RSC-R1UW-E8R "autodetected no", but all of them are WIO and gen.2 gen.3...

What I try to avoid is to burning up my setup, if it "just doesn't work" without damage then it would be worth a try LOL.

Pretty hard to get any wiring diagrams /pinouts etc, that would be helpful if I could double check the layout.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I think both are not suitable for this system. You can refer to Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 1U | 6017R-TDT+ to help visualize why

The RSC-R1UW-E8R will not work as the memory location blocks the area of the pcie slot at that height. You'd need a 2U riser.

RSC-W-68 might fit, but only give you the top pcie slot. The lower slot is meant for a motherboard with a cutout to allow the card to sit at the same level as the motherboard (see X9DRW-CTF31 for an example)

It looks like if you're tied to 1U risers you can only have one slot. If you're willing to look at 2U risers you'll have more options.

Last edited:

nagakura

May 12, 2021
I think both are not suitable for this system. You can refer to Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 1U | 6017R-TDT+ to help visualize why

The RSC-R1UW-E8R will not work as the memory location blocks the area of the pcie slot at that height. You'd need a 2U riser.

RSC-R1UW-E8R might fit, but only give you the top pcie slot. The lower slot is meant for a motherboard with a cutout to allow the card to sit at the same level as the motherboard (see X9DRW-CTF31 for an example)

It looks like if you're tied to 1U risers you can only have one slot. If you're willing to look at 2U risers you'll have more options.
yeah that might be true what you say, however, I want to use another x16 riser with cable to funnel that slot anyway into the bottom location of the case. So what would go into the slot on the riser is the connector of the other riser cable, like this one

(ps I guess you meant "RSC-W-68 might work".... )

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
(ps I guess you meant "RSC-W-68 might work".... )
Yes. Edited to clarify.

Your flexible connector might fit, but it's hard to judge the clearances on the board. Looks like you can get them for ~$30 on ebay so I guess it's not too risky to try.

Last edited:

nagakura

May 12, 2021
ps I would be even happier if I could just plug the riser cable directly into the WIO slot without the SM riser card inbetween. Mechanically it uses a standard x1 connector on the MB. I inspected a little bit the RSC-W-68 riser and it seems to me that the slot pinout differs unfortunately...

The Supermicro SXB1A slot has continuity between B4 and B11 pins and these are grounded, while regular PCIe has GND at B4 and A4... and yeah they have ridiculously marked even the pins on the riser and the MB with PCIe pin numbers A1-A18 and B1-B18, so someone could really have the idea to directly plug a x1 standard riser into one of these mechanically identical SXB slots... bad engineering practice!

nagakura

May 12, 2021
same thing on the SXB1C slot... most of A1-A18 and B1-B18 on the riser are just GND, so not PCIe at all

nagakura

May 12, 2021
I could finally conclude one thing from the riser card matrix at Riser Card Matrix | Supermicro

RSC-R1UW-E8R is listed as compatible with SYS-5019P-WTR system which has the Super X11SPW-TF motherboard
RSC-R2UW-E8R-UP is listed as compatible with SYS-5029P-WTR which has also the Super X11SPW-TF motherboard

So I conclude that besides physical fit to the chasis RSC-R1UW-E8R and RSC-R2UW-E8R-UP are electrically identical coz they both work on the same motherboard.

Now RSC-R2UW-E8R-UP is also listed as compatible with SYS-6027R-TDT+ which has the Super X9DRD-iT+ motherboard that I have, so I conclude that RSC-R1UW-E8R (that I accidentally have) will also electrically fit Super X9DRD-iT+... at least it should not burn the board I would suppose?!

The only detail is that "autodetect" feature - do you know what it means?

The above is for the right riser slot.

Could not infer more for the left riser slot, there are too many models listed for different risers... shame on SM that they do not allow to just fit the motherboard type number only complete MB+case :/

The support told me RSC-R1UW-2E16 would fit the LHS riser slot on Super X9DRD-iT+ but were unable to tell me whether RSC-W-68 will fit or not.... bad!