Supermicro SC813M - How to install a PCIe card in Slot 7?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
The SC813M is designed for the riser to go in Slot 6. Is there a smart/easy/common way to use a PCIe card in Slot 7 instead? When using an ITX motherboard for example? I assume I'm not the first person to want to put an ITX board in one of these.

SM customer support of course says..No. Can't be done. Me, I can think of lots of ways, some more..um...ill advised than others.

Reactions: RedX1

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Could always use a flexible PCIe riser.
I think that's a pretty simple solution on the face of it, especially since I've got a short flex riser in one of the parts boxes, and haven't invested in the SM one yet. But I assume I'd need to come up with a way to brace the card into position? So its not hanging off the bracket. Guess that's what 3D printers are for. :p

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
If the card isn't heavy, the bracket itself should do a reasonable job of supporting it. If you want extra support, rubber foot with adhesive on one side would work. Just stick it to the chassis.

Reactions: Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
If the card isn't heavy, the bracket itself should do a reasonable job of supporting it. If you want extra support, rubber foot with adhesive on one side would work. Just stick it to the chassis.
This system is going to be for tinkering: VMs, Passthrough, pfSense, etc. So a low end GPU (for passthrough) or NIC depending on what I'm playing with at the time. Nothing too heavy, but probably long/solid enough that I'd want to brace the end a bit. A rubber foot is a great idea.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I purchased a several of these, each, a while back:

I did the same thing. I stuck a mobo with a 7th slot in a supermicro SC512 chassis (1U) and needed a solution for the 7th slot to reach the normal 6th slot PCIe mounting position.

It took a while to find some "1 slot width" height versions; but, they worked out. I actually bought several from different vendors: they were all the same size so I don't see any reason any one wouldn't work.

It did take several months to arrive though...

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I purchased a several of these, each, a while back:
I saw some of those on Amazon! I thought maybe they were for putting a low profile card in a regular case or something, so wasn't sure I wanted to take a chance (the parts bin already has a half dozen or so risers in it that I "thought sure would work" for various things and didn't).

Cost a bit more, but next day delivery in my area. Looks like the same size, at least when measuring on screen with my calibrated eyeball...

Amazon.com: GODSHARK PCI-E 164 pin Slot PCI-Express 16X Riser Card, Male to Female Extension Protector Upward Riser Adapter Card 1U 2U: Computers & Accessories

What kind of card did you use them on? Did the mounting seem secure?

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
You still need to use the exact riser for your exact chassis (there are various heights for supermicro chassis).

Once you install the proper 90° riser for the chassis, then you use this "1U extension" I linked to above to cover the exact slot width for a 7th slot to a 6th slot setup.

I installed a Dual-Port 10G + Dual-Port 1G PCIe x8 card. Yep, connects like normal.

I looked at those Amazon ones, but my calibrated eye said it wasn't exactly the correct height.

Plus, I wasn't in a hurry... So I ordered the cheap stuff as I needed a few other things from there.