Supermicro PDB motherboard incompatibility.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Zombielinux

Jun 14, 2019
I'm in the process of upgrading some of my servers (going from X9SCM-F/X10SLH-F/X9DRI-LN4F/Gigabyte Z97 to HP Z440 motherboards).

I've found some inconsistency in the ATX Power implementation on my Supermicro Chassis (2x CSE825 and 1x SC745) and what the motherboard is expecting.

The motherboards boot perfectly with a standard ATX power supply (Corsair GS600).

The motherboards boot perfectly in my CSE826 with a PDB-PT826-8824 and any of my power supplies (PWS-741P-1R, PWS-501P-1R, & PWS-920P-SQ)

The X9SCM-F/X10SLH-F/X9DRI-LN4F/Gigabyte Z97 all boot in the CSE825 with a PDB-PT825-8824 v6.2, but none of the Z440 boards do. They will start briefly, then shut down instantly flashing a red "Power Supply Issue" blink code.

This behavior is identical across two PDB-PT825s and the SC745's PDB (haven't got the number off it yet)

EDIT: This behavior is the same with the PDB, PSUs, and Motherboards outside of a chassis (to rule out case shorting)

FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc. and

Show significant issues with v6.3, but I can't find a changelog anywhere as to what changed between them and why.

Further, this ancient thread doesn't seem to have any resolution as to what went wrong.

Has anyone recently had these issues and if so, what sort of solution did you find?

I will say this, the PW_OK signal is not used by the Z440 motherboard, and no amount of pulling high or low on it gets the PDB to think that everything is ok.

Last edited: