supermicro cse-721tq-250b 2.5” ssd cooling

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Anybody have experience with the seemingly limited airflow in this case for some SAS SSD ?
Probably not worth trying is it ?

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
I cant imagine its an issue SAS SSD generally generate less heat than 7200rpm regular hard drives.
Even if they do, they're intended to run hotter than regular hdd, as long as you have some airflow SAS SSD should be fine.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Mine sitting on a table in my home office does just fine with a set of 4x 10T drives (ST10000DM0004) and the fans run at a pretty slow speed most of the time. The drives from top to bottom are right now @ 36/39/39/37 C, the middle guys a little warmer of course. They have been ok for going on 1161 days so far in that same spot and were new when installed. Putting the SSD's in 2.5->3.5 sleds would let there be more airflow through the disk enclosure which is setup like a normal supermicro backplane.

The 2 side-mount points for 2.5" drives on the top & side of the cage area don't have as much airflow potential, but unless you put some hot SAS or NVMe drive there I doubt it would be a problem unless installed in a space that is hot to begin with.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I cant imagine its an issue SAS SSD generally generate less heat than 7200rpm regular hard drives.
Even if they do, they're intended to run hotter than regular hdd, as long as you have some airflow SAS SSD should be fine.
yeah in the hot swap bays they would be more than fine, this is above and beside the hot swap bay. I need the right cable for the SAS card and another 60mm fan at front to keep that cool but Guess I just have to try maybe.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
The 2 side-mount points for 2.5" drives on the top & side of the cage area don't have as much airflow potential, but unless you put some hot SAS or NVMe drive there I doubt it would be a problem unless installed in a space that is hot to begin with.
had 4 x He10 (8TB) disks planned in the 3.5” bays. Wanted to put some 1.6TB SSD in the side / top mount, I have a choice of Toshiba PM5-v or HDS SS300, I would try to swap for SATA but don’t like my chances really and didn’t want to buy since I have these. Both 5w or below idle, the HGST goes up to 14w, no idea on Toshiba.

may have to do 2 x 8tb and 2 x 1.6tb.

have to get the right breakout cable for my SAS adapter and shall report back.