Supermicro adopting Coreboot on some Sapphire Rapids / Ice Lake-X Motherboards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
During 2022 OCP (Open Compute Project) Global Summit, Supermicro demoed with a few short videos (1, 2, 3) some Motherboards using different forms of Open Source Firmware including Coreboot, something that is very important to me as I spend quite a bit of time trying to get people interesed in it. Given than STH is still publishing articles about OCP Summit I suppose there are chances that they have coverage about this from Supermicro but didn't released it yet, but I'm going to spoil you first. So here we go.

The main video is this one, where Supermicro in a few slides mentions what are they going to implement and why. The slide at 1:54 where they mention Motherboard support is the most important one.

Known parts:

X13DEM Motherboard for SPR-SP (Sapphire Rapids-SP)
Used in upcoming servers (Around 3500-5000 EUR):
SYS-121H-TNR
SYS-221H-TNR
SYS-221H-TN24R
SYS-621H-TN12R

X13SEW Motherboard for ICX-D (Ice Lake-X for HEDT I suppose?)
X13SEW-F - around 870 EUR. 8 DDR5 Slots, 2 1G Ports, and a BMC for IPMI
X13SEW-TF - around 970 EUR. 8 DDR5 Slots, 2 10G Ports, and a BMC for IPMI

Seems like Open Source Firmware is getting a heavy push on Servers.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Are you implying than Sapphire Rapids-SP is socket compatible with Ice Lake-X, or will even coexists in the same generation as higher end Processors?
I already have no idea about what Intel is doing after so many delays...

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I remembered openbmc reading the posts in this thread, checked it on github and like expected some of the interesting repositories are now read-only/dead ._.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
what Ice Lake-X ? its gone with SPR.
On the video I posted, at 1:54 they mention the X13SEW as a ICX-D platform. Which most likely stands for Ice Lake.

search "fishhawk falls"
I checked it already, but that is supposed to be Sapphire Rapids HEDT. The problem here is that Supermicro itself is telling that it is something else, unless they did a codename sphagetti.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
X13SEW Motherboard for ICX-D (Ice Lake-X for HEDT I suppose?)
Supermicro MBD-X13SEW-F [NR]Sapphire Rapids-SP (LGA-4677-E) SKT-E + EBG PCH, 8x DDR5 Single
there are SPR-112L parts with more PCIe lanes (Xeon W-34??) and other configs.
SPR-SP XCC
SPR-112L XCC
SPR-SP MCC
SPR-MSWS MCC

Are you implying than Sapphire Rapids-SP is socket compatible with Ice Lake-X
no.
Socket E is 4677. new HEDT is based on SPR.
what Ice Lake-X ? SPR succeeding Ice Lake-X.
search "fishhawk falls"

they mention the X13SEW as a ICX-D platform

The problem here is that Supermicro itself is telling that it is something else
strange because they never made bugs in manuals :eek:

Last edited:

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
strange because they never made bugs in manuals :eek:
I would expect than a video that they showed in a public event would have been looked at more closely and approved by someone, so I'm not expecting such a basic mistake there about a major Motherboard feature.

So what I have to assume, than Ice Lake-X is officially dead but that the platform works for Sapphire Rapids-EP because it was intended to be a socket compatible upgrade? That they put wrong codename on video and didn't noticed and it was SPR-SP like the X13DEM all along?
Need more solid info. I think I will just wait until we get some kind of confirmation from Intel or Supermicro themselves.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
On the video I posted, at 1:54 they mention the X13SEW as a ICX-D platform. Which most likely stands for Ice Lake.
X12SDV (Ice Lake-D)
X13 SEW (ICX-D) <<< same than above, just a copy by a human which has no clue.
ICX-D is Xeon D = BGA not socketed.
did you noticed the space between X13 and SEW ?

X11DPi-NT socket P(P0)
X12SPA socket P(P4)
X13DEM socket E

So what I have to assume, than Ice Lake-X is officially dead but that the platform works for Sapphire Rapids-EP because it was intended to be a socket compatible upgrade?
what ? no BGA is socket compatible, its a bug in the sheet.

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
have anyone got a supermicro LGA4677 motherboard ?
supermicro sayd they can not ship my board because there are no CPU Carrier in stock.