Supermicro 2U server, 12 sata hot swap racks - parting out

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I have an old supermicro server.
It has a X7DB3 motherboard, with 2 processors, and 8 sticks of ram.
It powers up, but I can't get any video from the VGA port.
It has 2 800w hot swap power supplies.
I pulled one of the sticks of ram and it was a 512mb micro ram.
There is a 2 port ethernet card in a pci-64 slot.
There is some unknown card in a pci-e slot.
There are some small sata hard drives in the hot swap caddies.
I am looking to get $75 for it, with local pickup in los angeles.
I am including some photos.

Will part it out and ship any parts. Let me know what you want.
$2 per ram stick
$2 per cpu
$2 per heatsink
$10 per power supply
$1.50 per hard drive tray
$1.50 per 160gb seagate sata hard drives (10 available).
make me an offer for any other parts
all prices do not include shipping.
Accept paypal, vemo, and possibly other forms of payment.

Also happy to trade for a working nvidia quadro P1000 or P620 graphics card, or something very similar.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Assuming the unknown card is the first picture it's an AOC-SIMLC which provides IPMI as on the X7 generation they had add in cards for the feature.

It looks like the right rack ear is missing and the left one is significantly damaged correct?

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
The right rack ear is missing. I have some pieces, but it is not attached.
The left one is missing some screws, and somewhat damaged. There is a power button and some leds on the left side.

The unknown card is the first picture, so IPMI makes sense. There is a MAC address on it, but no external rj45.
There are two RJ45s on the back I/O shield, so perhaps one of them is where the IMPI goes.
I just checked the hard drives. There are roughly eight 160gb or so sata drives.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
For a such old server the most of value is in the chassis itself. $75 is not unreasonable. Do add model number for the backplane.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
For a such old server the most of value is in the chassis itself. $75 is not unreasonable. Do add model number for the backplane.
Glad you think the price is reasonable. Where do I find the model number of the backplate?

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I have included a picture of the rack ear. It looks like there is just a missing bolt.
I have also included a picture of the right and left side of the backplate, to help with identification.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Looks like BPN-SAS-826TQ. Not my cup of tea mostly for cable management reasons. But some might want to use with motherboard SATA ports instead.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
What's great is that the chassis seems to still use the same drive caddies as the later models, so the chassis itself it probably still usable if not the whole thing (if it boots) for a nas build since it has a built in sas controller and should be able to support 64gb via 8gb fbdimms for even a starter vm machine.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I agree. If I can't sell the whole thing, I am likely to part it out. Likely get more money, but a lot more hassle.

I realized that the X7 gen of motherboards has a VGA jumper. I will find it, and see if I can get some video today...

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
Parting out. If you see it in the photos, it is for sale.
FBDIMMS, power supplies, fans, whatever.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
Everything except the hard drive trays is still available. If you or your minions are in the area, the chassis may still be available...