Suggestions Needed for Complete Network Overhaul (Router/Switch/Server/NAS)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Hi all, Happy New Year ... I've lurked this forum for a while, but I need your expert guidance with what I'm trying to achieve. I've listed below my current configuration, objectives, constraints, and provided a "loose" proposed configuration. I look forward to your much appreciated feedback and thanks in advance!

Current Setup
1. Router: Asus RT-AC66U (Radios Off)
2. AP: Asus RT-AC3200
3. Switch: Cisco SG-300-20
4. NAS 1: Qnap TVS-871 (8 x 6 TB HGST Deskstar NAS in RAID 10)
5. NAS 2: Qnap TS-453A (4 x 6 TB HGST Deskstar NAS in RAID 5)
6. NAS 3: Qnap TS-231 (2 x 6 TB HGST Deskstar NAS in RAID 0)
7. UPS: Cyberpower CP1350AVRLCD

Objective
1. Rationalize hardware:
(a) I'd like a "cleaner" solution with everything rack-mounted as opposed to resting on different shelves on a ClosetMaid Closet Organizer which I installed to hold everything (seemed to make sense at the time with far fewer components). Closet organizer does have the benefit of hiding structured wiring panel behind doors on it, but will be removed to make way for the rack.
(b) Build a pfSense router to properly replace current consumer grade router (primarily so that I can use VPN without a massive reduction in speed).
(c) Consolidate NAS appliances, 3 aren't needed.
2. Upgrade to a 10 GigE switch if it makes sense (condo is wired with ~12 Cat5e ports).
3. Retain/enhance existing capabilities of Qnap NAS (primarily used as a file server, Plex, VMs, etc.)

Constraints
1. Reuse existing 6 TB HGST Deskstar NAS HDDs.
2. Skill Level: Likely below average compared to the rest of this site (educational / professional background is Finance and not IT - IT is a hobby, primarily because I love learning), I have completed a number of desktop builds, but realize that building this new environment will be more challenging (and that is welcomed).
3. Budget: While I should have one, I don't. I will be able to sell existing hardware to offset a fraction of the cost and would like to source used components where it makes sense.

Proposed Configuration (at the Moment)
[1] 1U = pfSense Router
[2] 1U = 10 GigE Switch
[3] 1U = Server based on dual Xeon E5-2670s
[4] 3U = ~12 Bay NAS using FreeNAS (or alternative)
[5] 2U = UPS
[6] AP = Ubiquiti AP

>> Notes / Questions Regarding Above <<
* All Rack Unit sizes are suggested based upon research to date. I'm not opposed to deviating completely from my proposal.
* Again, I'd like to source used components where it makes sense and build myself where it makes sense.
* Since I'm OCD (not really), I'd like to use the same chassis brand for router, server, NAS. From what I've read, I believe Supermicro is the way to go.
* Also, would love your suggestion on a rack to hold everything. Nothing against it, but I don't want to go the Ikea build your own route.

[1] Looking for your suggestions here on components, etc. I'd love to go the Avoton C2750 route, but hate to spend $500+ building a pfSense box just to use VPN without extreme degradations in speed (I realize pfSense offers other enhancements, but that is my core reason for adding this component). I'd rather build a better server / NAS at the expense of a lower quality pfSense box.
[2] My condo is Cat 5e wired (approximately 12 ports). I believe you can get 10 GigE over Cat5e if the distance isn't too great and the only port (outside of those in the rack that needs 10GigE would be one of the 3 ports running to where my workstation is located. I'm unsure as to the quality of the cable running to my workstation (beyond being able to saturate a Gigabit link at 113 MB/s), but there is no way to pull new cable from the rack to the workstation. Looking for your suggestions here as to switch brand, set up, etc.
[3] Unfortunately I missed the bottom of Xeon E5-2670 prices, but I really like the idea of doing one of these builds. This server would be used for virtualization. Looking for your suggestions here on components, etc.
[4] I believe it makes sense to separate the server from the NAS, right? If the should be combined, that is fine. Also, how is data redundancy handled with rackmount NASes, I wouldn't have to build two would I? Looking for your suggestions here on components, etc.
[5] Looking for your suggestion here on which UPS that can handle everything.
[6] I think I want a Ubiquiti AP, but would look for your suggestions here, too.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
[1] What speed is your WAN link? What throughput are you expecting across your VPN links?
[2] How many of your ports are active? How many 10GBase-T ports would you need active? And what's at the other end, that can use 10GBase-T at the moment?
[6] Yeah, UAP-AC-Pro or UAP-AC-HD (beta) would be good options.

How important is low noise? How important is keeping power consumption low?

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Thanks for your quick reply.

[1] WAN: Down = 100 Mbps / Up = 70 Mbps. I'm expecting negligible loss in throughput and on par with what I get on my Workstation running a VPN client. I just ran a speedtest while connected via that VPN client and it shows 95 Mbps down / 94 Mbps Up (usually ~24 Mbps slower up).

[2] 10GBase-T: Nothing can use at the moment, so I would be looking for a switch that has enough 10GBase-T ports for the new Server / new NAS + 1 for Workstation (requires buying a new NIC for that). Removing existing connections to the Cisco 20 port switch from the equation that would be replaced (Router / NAS appliances) and that 1 Workstation port), I have 4 other active ports.

Noise: Since this rack will go in a closet, I imagine the closet will provide some sound deadening, but that closet is accessible to the living area and it would be nice to not hear fans that sound like jet engines while watching a movie 15 feet away.

> That brings up the question of heat, right? In some areas, the condo "ceiling" is exposed concrete (subfloor of above unit) and in others it is drywall several feet below that concrete. In the closet, the "ceiling" is drywall, so I plan to install a fan at the top of the closet (think something similar to a bathroom vent fan). That heat would be blown into an area between the concrete and drywall that is several hundred cubic feet. Alternatively, and this is an un-researched idea, the dryer vent (flexible) runs directly overhead the closet, so I could potentially tap into that vent, install some sort of "valve" so there isn't backflow of heat to the dryer and the heat from the server closet is blown out just as heat from the dryer would be. That may be an insanely stupid idea and may also present code compliance / engineering challenges.

Power Consumption: Somewhat important, but I don't really know what to expect in terms of cost increase? Are we talking about +$50/+$100/+$200 a month? My current NAS appliances are on 24/7, but their TDP compared to the project in scope is an apples <> oranges comparison.