Storage server and drive configs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Argh

May 13, 2020
Server HP DL360p Gen8.
It has 8 bays connected to the SAS controller.

End Goal:
2 x 1TB SSD's for hosting my VM's, these put into a mirror. These were put into the first 2 drive bays in the server.
the rest of the storage, made up of SAS drives will be for storage, ZFS
Running ESXi (Hypervisor 6.5U3)
1 VM will be Napp-IT and this was going to have the SAS controller passed through to build the ZFS storage.
Other VM's on system for various tasks, PLEX(in Linux), Windows10, etc...

I started following the guide for Napp-IT. The server has an i420p RAID controller. I've successfully put this into HBA mode. Everything is "showing" in ESXi
However when I put the SAS controller into Pass-throu I no longer have anything available to install my OS's. I do understand WHY this happened but am looking for suggestions/ways to get my 2 SSD's showing in the Hypervisor to create the datastores...

What would be a "best" option here.
I can turn pass-through off and just use datastores - I don't THINK this is best as I won't really get ZFS on the host OS if I understand correctly.
Another option would be find a way to wire the 2 SSD's to the SATA ports in this unit, maybe by replacing the optical. But from my understanding the SATA connections are limited to 1.5MB/s so my SSD's won't really be usefull.
Add a separate PCI-e SSD card?

The PCI-e might be the "better" option but will of course requiring purchasing such, plus I don't know that I can get the mirror on this.

I'd appreciate any options/suggestions!

Thanks

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Typically you use Sata for a local datasore and the HBA in pass-through mode for the storage VM.
With an SAS HBA, you can also use disks for ESXI and raw disk mapping of single Sata/SAS disks for ZFS (HBA not in pass-through mode). With not too many disks this is ok as you must add disk by disk.

Argh

May 13, 2020
Oh didn't know that was an option. I may try that first, as it avoids purchasing anything additional.

Argh

May 13, 2020
Trying to do the raw mapping. But I'd still have to create datastores out of at least the SSD's. Would I create a RAID for these, mirror?