Spencer V2.0-BETA 1- Now with Pineapple - A TrueNAS Email Alert Script

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nickf1227

Sep 23, 2015
Cross Posted from Here, Full Script Available: Spencer V2.0-BETA 1- Now with Pineapple - An Email Alert Script for Potentially Hidden Problems | TrueNAS Community
Cross Posted to Here,

Spencer V2.0-BETA 1- Now with Pineapple - An TrueNAS Email Alert Script for Potentially Hidden Problems - Development - Level1Techs Forums

1692750134998.png

Spencer v2.0 BETA-1

Not Quite Psychic...

# Version 2.0 08/22/23
# Refactored a lot of code.
# Dynamically determine whether run from MultiReport or if Spencer is called directly.
# Overall improvements to robustness of the script, the accuracy of its findings, and an increase in scope.
# New search patterns and customizability.
# -----------------------------------------------

# Version 1.3 08/13/23 - Contribution by JoeSchmuck merged
# Added a new feature for tracking and reporting previous errors differently than new errors.

A special thanks to @joeschmuck for his recent and welcome contributions!!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

TL;DR

This script was written to identify issues which may otherwise be silent, as they are not reported by the built-in TrueNAS Alert system nor in some 3rd party community scripts like @joeschmuck's Multi-Report.

multi_report.sh version for Core and Scale - Updates

This script works with both CORE and SCALE.

Due to a change in logging on SCALE Cobia, this script will not work on versions newer than 22.12.x!

I will update it when I am able.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Spencer Reports”

I Know, You Know

Okay, Gus, listen up! This isn't your grandmother's script, it's the "Spencer" script! You know, named after me, the Shawn Spencer. It's got that psychic detective edge.

You see, first, it's got this fancy thing where it talks to the spirits – or a JSON file, but who's keeping track – and figures out what errors it's seen before. I like to think of it as the script's own little psychic vision.

Then, it gets down to business, checking out the current scene (or, you know, the logs) and finding any new mysterious events that occurred. If there's something fishy, like there's no new errors but old ones are lurking around, it's going to shout out loud with our "PREVIOUS ERROR" alert. If everything's hunky-dory, then it celebrates with a joyful "SUCCESS" note. And if there are any new secrets unveiled, it'll don the "ERROR" hat.

Now, what's cooler is this script doesn't just stop at identifying these errors. Oh no! It dresses them up real nice and presents them like I present clues. And of course, it won't leave you hanging. It provides all the juicy details about each error, including a super intense description and how many times that sneaky error appeared.

Oh, and just in case you're super curious, it will also tell you the exact time and place (or you know, log entry) where the error made its appearance.

And when all is said and done, it makes sure to remember all the new mysteries it encountered for next time. Kinda like my "remember that for later" moments.

So, in a nutshell: this script is like me if I were a bunch of code, always on the lookout for errors and doing it with style. And pineapples. Definitely with pineapples.

“Spencer’s Psych-O Error Patterns List!”

Your Glimpse into the Supernatural World of Error Patterns

Hey TrueNAS users and pineapple enthusiasts
, this is your guide to what's going haywire in your system, or as Gus likes to call it - "That thing that beeps a lot."

The Delicious Menu of Error Patterns

1692750201154.png

Linux (The TrueNAS SCALE Experience)

iSCSI Drama Club:

High Severity:
- "Timeout Timeout": It's like when Gus takes too long ordering food.
- "Session Drama": iSCSI's been rejected more times than I've been kicked out of the police station.
Moderate Moody Moments:
- "Connection Feels": Someone just can't connect, like me with technology.
- "Kernel Kerfuffle": Even the kernel is having a dramatic day.
Low-Key Laments:
- "Logout Blues": Saying goodbye is hard. For everyone.

NFS Shenanigans:

High Drama:
- "Server Ghosting": I'm pretty sure it's haunted.
- "Stale Like Last Week's Doughnuts": And not the delicious kind.
- "Time's Up!": The NFS clock ran out, probably too busy watching reruns of 80s sitcoms.
Middle-of-the-Road Malarkey:
- "Server's Feeling OK": It had a good night's sleep.
- "Lost the Portmap": Somewhere between here and the snack bar.
- "Try, Try Again": NFS's mantra for the day.
- "Mounting Mischief": Not the horse kind.
- "Access Denied": Even NFS sometimes doesn't get invited to the party.

SCSI's Soap Opera:

High-Flying Histrionics:
- "CDB's Dramatic Monologues": These blocks have stories, man!

FreeBSD (The TrueNAS CORE Chronicles)

NFS's Plot Twists
:

High Peaks of Peril:
- "FreeBSD Timeout Trials": The drama continues in another dimension.

iSCSI Intrigue:

High Stakes Storylines:
- "CAM Status Conundrums": It's like a whodunit, but for iSCSI.
Moderate Mysteries:
- "Datamove Dance": A ballet of binary.
- "iSCSI's General Gossip": All the juicy details.

More SCSI Sagas:

High Drama Days:
- "CAM Status Cliffhangers": Every good series needs them.

General Dramedies (Comedy + Drama, Gus!)

High Points of Perplexity:
- "SCSI's Soliloquy": Pure poetry.
- "Link Reset Riddles": More challenging than that time we played trivia.
Moderate Musings:
- "Failed Reading Romances": I feel this on a spiritual level.
- "Write Wrongs": It's like a typo, but more dramatic.
- "ATA Bus Stops": Where does it even go?[/
size=4] - "Exceptional Exceptions": Because even errors are special.
- "ACPI's Moods": Sometimes it's upset, sometimes it's just warning you.
Low-Level Lightheartedness:
- "ACPI Chuckles": More of a snicker, really.

End of Spencer's Spectacular List!

And remember, when things go sideways, always keep a pineapple handy. Oh, and maybe a technician. But mostly the pineapple.
1692750216071.png

You can run the script as a cron job!
1692750221587.png

Emotion-Infused Plot Lines
Gus & Sean's Tech Adventure
Gus: “Sean, have you seen these new reports? The details are incredible! My inner ZFS geek is genuinely excited.”

Sean: “Reports? Probably got lost somewhere while our server was throwing a tantrum connecting to TrueNAS.”

Gus: “That’s just it! This might actually be our breakthrough for that issue. This isn’t just about the clarity; it has crucial information about the connectivity problem we’ve been tearing our hair out over.”

Sean: “Come on, Gus. We’ve been at this for days. How is some flashy report going to change anything?”

Gus: “Hear me out. Look at this line: the iSCSI Kernel Issue on SCALE. It might be the root cause of our connection issues.”

Sean: “I’ve seen a million error reports, Gus. Why is this one any different?”

Gus: “Because this time, it’s not just an error. It’s giving us specific data about what’s going wrong. ZFS and Spencer are practically screaming the answer at us!”

Sean: “Alright, alright! Let me see… Damn…you might be onto something. Ugh, Let’s get this fixed.”

TrueNAS CORE Example Report:

Code:
Spencer Results

##################################################

Version: CORE

NO NEW ERRORS FOUND

=====Previously Found Errors=================

iSCSI General Errors -------------------------------------- [1] ----- [Moderate Severity - Broad category for other iSCSI disruptions on TrueNAS.]

NFS Server Not Responding --------------------------------- [1] ----- [High Severity - The NFS service on TrueNAS isn't responding, hinting at service downtimes or network issues.]

==================================================
"​
TrueNAS SCALE Example Report:
Code:
Spencer Results

Version: SCALE

[SPENCER] [ERROR] Error Found in Log for Pineapple

=====NEWLY FOUND ERRORS===========================

Hard Resetting Link --------------------------------------- [1] ----- [High Severity - Indicates that a storage communication link on the TrueNAS system was forcibly reset, which may affect data transfer or access.]

ACPI Error ----------------------------------------------- [1] ----- [Moderate Severity - For TrueNAS SCALE, indicates hardware or power management issues, which might impact system performance.]

iSCSI Kernel Issue --------------------------------------- [1] ----- [High Severity - For TrueNAS SCALE, signifies disruptions in iSCSI operations at the Linux kernel level.]

NFS Retrying ---------------------------------------------- [1] ----- [Low Severity - TrueNAS is retrying a previously failed NFS operation, suggesting transient errors.]

=====Previously Found Errors=================

Exception Emask ------------------------------------------ [1] ----- [High Severity - For TrueNAS SCALE users, this points to exceptions in the system, potentially related to disk operations or kernel disruptions.]

ACPI Exception ------------------------------------------- [1] ----- [Moderate Severity - For TrueNAS SCALE, highlights unexpected hardware or power configurations that should be checked.]

Psychic Upgrade Alert!
Version 1.3 and Beyond: MultiReport's Next Chapter

Version 1.3 of Spencer is ready for action! No additional changes needed; it’s good to go as a stand-alone.

But here’s the kicker: the upcoming Multi-Report update
will wave its wand and make Spencer run like magic, attaching logs and all to the email.
Say goodbye to extra Cronjobs – they won’t be missed!
Get ready for the ultimate truth email, no more double trouble.

Code:
Multi-Report v2.4.3a dtd:2023-08-16 (TrueNAS Scale 22.12.2)

Checking for Updates

Current Version 2.4.3a -- GitHub Version 2.4.3

No Update Required

2023-08-16 23:14:15.789564 - Spencer is checking log files for errors and pushing output to Multi-Report.
SPENCER V2.0 - BETA - 8/22/23
Guide to Mastering the Mysteries Within

Hi there, seeker of knowledge! It's me, Gus, your friendly, quirky guide to the complex, yet incredibly powerful, world of the Spencer Script.

If you've got a moment (or several), let's dive deep into the abyss of this code.

Oh, and always remember: "Read the manual, but with flair!"

1. Email Setup - Your First Port of Call

Customizing the Recipient Address:

Seek and you shall find the line: DEFAULT_RECIPIENT = "YourEmail Address.com". It's practically calling out for you!
Replace "YourEmail Address.com" with the target email address of your choosing. This will direct Spencer's precious messages straight into their virtual arms.

2. Dive into The Configurations

Using Multi-Report:

The line use_multireport = True decides if you want the outputs in a multi-report (writing to a file) or sent as an email. Adjust as you see fit.

Command Line Extraordinaire:
If you invoke this script with command line arguments, make sure you know about the USE_WITH_MULTI_REPORT line. If you add 'multi_report' as the argument when you call the script, Spencer switches to multi-report mode. Neat, right?

Subject Lines & The Emailing Game:
Various subject lines are predefined (ERROR_SUBJECT, SUCCESS_SUBJECT, and PREV_ERROR_SUBJECT). They include the hostname dynamically. You can modify these if you fancy a change in your notifications.

File Locations for the Knowledge Seeker:
ERRORS_FILE & CONTENT_FILE: Spencer has designated spots to store previous errors and report content. Tread carefully and adjust if you have specific paths in mind.

3. Patterns & Errors - The Heart and Soul

Behold! Predefined error patterns tailored for Linux (TrueNAS SCALE) & FreeBSD (TrueNAS CORE).

Each pattern is categorized by severity (High, Moderate, Low).
But hey, remember, it's not the size of the error, but how you handle it!

Deciphering The Pattern:

For the brave-hearted, here's a breakdown of the pattern anatomy:

Main Term:
e.g., ("nfs:", ["Stale file handle"], [], "nfs_stale").
Positive Matches: These are keywords or phrases Spencer seeks.
Negative Matches: Keywords that, if present, will exclude the log line.
Pattern Key: A unique identifier for each pattern.

Severity Levels & Descriptions:

Deep within, you'll find SEVERITIES which categorizes each error by its impact.

ERROR_DESCRIPTIONS gives a detailed breakdown of each error.
So next time an error comes knocking, you'll be ready with an answer.

Pro Tips:

Avoid swimming in the deep end without your floaties!
Changes to the error patterns and descriptions can have ripple effects. Test after modifications.

Keep backups! It's not magic; it's just common sense. Before making major changes, keep a copy of the original script.

Have fun! Coding is an art, and you're the artist. Enjoy the process.

Remember, every journey with code is a chance to learn, grow, and possibly break a few things.

But isn't that the fun of it all?

So go on, adventurer, and make this script your own!

And, as always, "Read the manual!"... but, ya know, with a pinch of panache.

Fare thee well!

• Gus ✨

Reactions: tjk