Sourcing reasonably-priced multi-fiber cables?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MoMeanMugs

Apr 16, 2018
Looking for some assistance on finding some reasonably-priced multi-fiber multimode cables. I need to wire up the servers in my rack and have 12 servers that will each have 8 10Gb NIC's. I'm hoping not to have individual LC-LC cables and end up with a rat's nest of cables. I'm hoping to get either 16 fiber cables that fan out on each end, but I could live with 8 fiber cables. I previously bought the 8 fiber cables from FS.com with the PVC jackets, but the jacket is so stiff that it ended up being worse than individual cables. Even after a year and a half, they still won't straighten out, let alone flex in the way I need them to. The other trouble I'm having is finding any standard way of calling the cables. My Google-fu is failing, or I mostly find the fanout on one end with a pigtail on the other end. OM3 should be sufficient. Don't plan on going to 40Gb, but that would support that as well. 2 meters should be long enough, and 1 meter for some of the cables would be long enough. Any recommendations here?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
You need a fan out both ends ? MPO/MPT to fan out cables are pretty common. (Not really cheap though)

MoMeanMugs

Apr 16, 2018
Yes, that's correct. I thought about getting MPO to fanout cables and coupling the MPO ends. I came to the same conclusion that it's not cost effective. I'll hunt a bit longer to see what's on the market and may just break down and get individual cables if nothing's found.