Something I've noticed about "For Sale" forums all over the Internet

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
People selling want top dollar for their goods and people buying want to pay less than they would elsewhere. Funny how that works. :)

Reactions: Jerry Renwick

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
A well known behavioral economics concept is that people value their possessions higher than the same possessions owned by other people.

I.e you buy a cup for $5, but then won't sell it for less than $8...

Reactions: pgh5278

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
P.S. I paid attention in my psychology and sociology classes. My Professor was tall, blonde and had a huge rack. She always wore a white button up shirt and glasses. No lie. Damn, i miss being a bloody freshman in that school. I never missed a day of those two classes. Shit.

Got a pic? :D

It would be interesting if forum sales used a "make offer" system like eBay. I just scored 2 HP Procurve 1810-24G switches for 40 bucks apiece after bouncing offers back and forth a half dozen times. I decided to play the game as long as the seller played along and in the end I bought them. Partially because the seller was a good sport and responded quickly to my offer and counter offers. He made a sale and I got 2 excellent switches and a warm fuzzy feeling. :cool:

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Average price on eBay - 10%. Unless I really just want to be rid of the item, or can't find something comparable on eBay.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I think the main thing is KNOW your bottom dollar if you are selling and if you are buying be reasonable/fair and to understand that everyone's expectations of 'a deal' are different. I.E., I had a HP Procurve 2910al switch on here that I let creep down near $200 but once it got to that and I could gain no interest I figured it's worth it more to me to keep and eventually I will put it to use for a buddy/colleague that wants a home lab and needs a switch.

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
People always want to use the lowest price for the best products, that's not gonna happen.;)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Got a pic? :D

It would be interesting if forum sales used a "make offer" system like eBay. I just scored 2 HP Procurve 1810-24G switches for 40 bucks apiece after bouncing offers back and forth a half dozen times. I decided to play the game as long as the seller played along and in the end I bought them. Partially because the seller was a good sport and responded quickly to my offer and counter offers. He made a sale and I got 2 excellent switches and a warm fuzzy feeling. :cool:
You PM people on forum and you "Make offer"... it's rather simple, and effective. I negotiate with everyone I buy from unless I need it ASAP or the price is to my liking already. And, I also put "BEST OFFER" in almost all of my 'sale' ads, the only places I don't are for trade only or items that are at bottom dollar already, and if I drop price any lower I could just unload on ebay for more...

I think the main thing is KNOW your bottom dollar if you are selling and if you are buying be reasonable/fair and to understand that everyone's expectations of 'a deal' are different. I.E., I had a HP Procurve 2910al switch on here that I let creep down near $200 but once it got to that and I could gain no interest I figured it's worth it more to me to keep and eventually I will put it to use for a buddy/colleague that wants a home lab and needs a switch.
@whitey got it right! Know your bottom dollar you will accept, and when buying know how much you're willing to pay and stick with it.

I've not had a bad 'negotiating experience' with anyone here yet, and I've worked some rather large (multi-thousand $) and large # of items trading back and forth the worst you can experience is 'no'... fingers crossed my purchases, trades, and selling continue to go as planned :)

PS: Ebay bucks just came in, time for us all to go buy on ebay :D :D

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Fleabay tends to be pretty good at setting a market price for used crap. I check what a representative sample is selling at and that usually sets my selling price. On the forum to other hobbyiests I'm likely to cut 10-20% but most of the time it is far easier to sell crap to complete strangers for market price.

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
Makes me think of this thread over on [H]ard OCP.
Intel Xeon E5603 Westmere-EP 1.6GHz Socket 1366 Processors

The TLDR version is a guy had some low spec E5603 Xeons he got back as RMA from intel and wanted to sell them for $180/ea. He could not accept the fact that as these things get older they are worth less and less.

Personally I usually go ebay price minus a bit, sometimes I end up holding on to stuff a while because it doesn't sell.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
All things being equal, I'd rather but from a fellow forum member, but I'm not going to pay a premium for the privilege. But in all fairness, awesome deals do show up in the FS forum on a regular basis. I recently bought a pair of X5675's from a fellow member at considerably less than the cheapest price found on eBay.

And then there are those threads that make me think the seller is trolling for a sucker (plenty of eBay ads like that also). Just gotta separate the wheat from the chaff no matter where you buy. :)