[Solved] How to research whether TRIM supported?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

flimofly

Jan 2, 2024
I was considering replacing my old HDD's with SATA SSD's, e.g. WD RED. However, it was pointed out to me that it's very likely TRIM will not be supported.

In my CS846 I'm using a HBA Lenovo M1215 (flashed to IT-mode - P16 version for LSI 9300-8i) in combination with a BPN-SAS3-846EL backplane. I'm running Truenas SCALE.

How can I determine whether TRIM will be supported? I find mainly fairly old threads on the forum.

(FWW the choice for SSD's is informed by energy efficiency and the fact that I mainly need fast access to small files but don't need that much space)

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
if its running in IT mode, then its on your system to trigger TRIM. TRIM is only supported on SSDs.

The only con case in server's is with RAID cards where they, themselves would need to trigger TRIM.

If you do not run zfs, you can launch trim quite easily "fstrim / -v", on zfs you need to enable feature trim as i recall its not enabled by default.
(either by manual trigger 'zfs trim', or zpool set autotrim=on)

Last edited:
Reactions: flimofly

flimofly

Jan 2, 2024
Ok so it's not like the system only supports TRIM for some SSD drives (that have TRIM functionality) and not others?