SMB 3.0 with Jose Barreto

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
I'd like to thank Jose for answering a lot of my questions (he even replied one of my email's before his TechEd presentation) & letting me share some of our email convo

I'm not sure he needs introduction...

"Jose Barreto is a Principal Program Manager with the File Server Foundation team and has been with Microsoft since 2002"

He blogs at smb3.info & is on twitter @JoseBarreto

---------

Me 8/29/12
Hello Jose,

If I understand all I’ve read from your blogs, this setup will not work for multichannel SMB3? You can’t have iSCSI as the backend storage
http://www.starwindsoftware.com/images/content/technical_papers/StarWind_HA_Scale_Out_FS.pdf

Thx, Femi
@awedio
JB 8/29
There is no direct relationship between SMB Multichannel and iSCSI.

If there are dual paths of the same type and speed between the SMB client and the SMB server, SMB Multichannel will kick in, regardless of using an iSCSI back end.

The connection between iSCSI initiator and iSCSI Target will not benefit from SMB Multichannel, which is an SMB only construct. For that, you need MPIO, the block equivalent.
Me 8/30
If all the components are in place for SMB Multichannel to kick in, what (if any) type of impact can the “back end” storage of the File Server have?

Is it valid to consider an architecture (shown in prev image) with iSCSI back end vs the Shared SAS/HA-SAS/DAS model?

The Shared SAS/HA-SAS/DAS model (that was shown at various TechEds) looks very simple, elegant & straight forward vs an iSCSI back end
JB 8/30
There are no specific storage back end requirement for SMB Multichannel. It does not even require clustering.

For Clustered configurations, your options are iSCSI, FC or Shared SAS (with either Storage Spaces or a clustered RAID controller).

Using Shared SAS is a great way to reduce costs. We do like the “Cluster-in-a-box” setups you mention for its simplicity…

I posted a summary of the different partner solutions in a blog post aligned with TechEd...
Me 8/30
Jose, thx for taking time to answer my questions

Would it be ok to share your replies with folks on the www.servethehome.com forums?

We’ve had some good SMB3 discussions & are all thirsty for good SMB3 info
JB 8/30
Sure. No problem.
Thank you for sharing SMB3 info with your community…