SMART data with DS4486 and HGST NetApp branded drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JBond

Jan 1, 2021
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum though I am an user on r/homelab and r/datahoarder and a watcher of the STH youtume channel.

Recently I set up a freenas server connected to a NetApp DS4486 disk shelf and partially filled it with 4TB HGST drives (NetApp branded, already 512bytes sectors). The model number is HITACHI HUS724040ALE640 with the MJAONS04 firmware.

According to the camcontrol output the drives support SMART, but running smartctl --xall /dev/da[N] returns

Code:
=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Health Status: OK
Current Drive Temperature:     0 C
Drive Trip Temperature:        0 C

Read defect list: asked for grown list but didn't get it
Error Counter logging not supported

Device does not support Self Test logging
Device does not support Background scan results logging
which apparently means I only have access to [the wrong] temperature data from the drive.

Now, I can't seem to find any info on what is the cause, if it's the drives or the firmware that doesn't support more, and so how can I flash a firmware that supports it, or if it's the netapp dual drive sleds which strip smart data.

Has anyone already encountered this issue?

JBond

Jan 1, 2021
Is there a way to remove the interposed from the caddy? Didn’t look like that.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
So i have a DS4243 and you have to remove the drive from the tray and then the interposer can come out. Then you use a second set of holes (so the drive sits closer to the end of the tray) when you put the drive back in. I threw all of my interposers out as they don't... do anything useful from what I found.

I've never seen a DS4486, so... not entirely sure? Looking at this https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/netapp-4486-for-280-shipped.26110/ I'm thinking it might be a completely different setup and you are probably actually SOL. Have you tried non-netapp drives?

JBond

Jan 1, 2021
yep that's exactly the trays I have. I didn't try different drives, I will now tho. Also non branded netapp drives don't show SMART data. At this point I believe that it's an issue with the trays.

Do anyone have some experience with this?

FreeNAS is reporrting the pool as degraded because it cannot reach smart data.

Last edited:

Loto_Bak

Mar 10, 2011
The trays require interposers. SATA disks supported only
smartctl -a -d sat will pull smart data on a ds4486