Small Passthrough PoE switch?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

XplodingData

Jan 25, 2020
Running cameras in my place and I pulled 4 cables to the front of the house, but I'm realizing that I should have pulled 5... It's a real pain (far end of garage, up to second floor, through attic, down exterior wall into permanent storage cabinets, and finally out into covered roof space with screwed in soffit material... blech).

Thinking, as an alternative to running another cable, i might be able to just use an inexpensive passthrough PoE switch. Cameras only need about 6W each, so splitting one run to two or three cameras should be ok I'd think.

Any suggestions on a cheap unit? I'm in Canada if that changes your suggestion.

nerdalertdk

Fleet Admiral
Mar 9, 2017
::1
You Can split the cable so it’s only 4 wires or 2 pairs that gives you 2 x 100mbps with poe you need the split in both ends

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
at $100 it isn't that inexpensive, but the unifi switch flex gets you 1:4 with POE
Here is another, 1:2 for $50

Reactions: XplodingData

XplodingData

Jan 25, 2020
at $100 it isn't that inexpensive, but the unifi switch flex gets you 1:4 with POE
Here is another, 1:2 for $50
Thank you! "PoE Extender" was I guess the search key I wasn't getting. That has now turned up a bunch of options as low as about $30.

I will poke about the Amazon and see what might work for me. Thanks!