Shipping something to the USA question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Anyone know a cheaper way to ship stuff from the Netherlands to the USA? PostNL wants €160 for two parcels and i'm quite sure I can do better than that.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Anyone know a cheaper way to ship stuff from the Netherlands to the USA? PostNL wants €160 for two parcels and i'm quite sure I can do better than that.
FedEx last minute rates, although I don't know whether they're accessible without a company account.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Maybe have your friend or recipient in the states make an account with one of re-shippers and you ship that locally or within EU, their rates are usually way lower than retail fdx/ups/whatnot.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You must have some heavy packages? If it's under 5kg, should be much cheaper even via PostNL (€42 each). If they are indeed heavy, then yeah, you're not getting cheaper. Even domestic shipping within the US is ~€35 from one side of the country to the other for a 10kg box.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
You must have some heavy packages? If it's under 5kg, should be much cheaper even via PostNL (€42 each). If they are indeed heavy, then yeah, you're not getting cheaper. Even domestic shipping within the US is ~€35 from one side of the country to the other for a 10kg box.
I'm assuming the parcels will go above 5kg since it involves two old Precisions, one of them is also in a laptop bag. Plus the fact I neeed to pack them VERY well because fragile plastics+10,000 mile trip.

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
Hmm fedex in my country offers 7kg package for 126€ and national post for 7kg 58€

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
I've received a few large shipments from NL that went UPS. Have you checked third party shipping companies a la PirateShip here in the US? I know Canada gets good UPS rates through netParcel/PayPal.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I've received a few large shipments from NL that went UPS. Have you checked third party shipping companies a la PirateShip here in the US? I know Canada gets good UPS rates through netParcel/PayPal.
UPS's site is broken currently so unfortunately I can't check.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
UPS's site is broken currently so unfortunately I can't check.
I would suggest avoiding carriers directly and going through a third-party provider a la PirateShip. The direct retail rates will be higher, often significantly so.

Easyship.com? ParcelABC.com?

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I would suggest avoiding carriers directly and going through a third-party provider a la PirateShip. The direct retail rates will be higher, often significantly so.

Easyship.com? ParcelABC.com?
Easyship wants more than PostNL of all things to ship just one laptop.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I'm assuming the parcels will go above 5kg since it involves two old Precisions, one of them is also in a laptop bag. Plus the fact I neeed to pack them VERY well because fragile plastics+10,000 mile trip.
If you can't get 2 in one box and keep it under 10kg (which would be ~€80), then that's just the reality of things. Freight costs are up all around.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
If you can't get 2 in one box and keep it under 10kg (which would be ~€80), then that's just the reality of things. Freight costs are up all around.
I can quite easily get two in a box but fragility man, I would hate it for them to arrive broken.