Shared storage ideas...vSphere 6.5

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BSDguy

Sep 22, 2014
Yeah I think I am going to install the Pro's in the hosts themselves rather than in FreeNAS.

I considered using all the SM863 drives in a single pool but I would like to have two pools. One for performance (where most VMs will run) and one to maximise space (for templates etc).

I've got my 4 Samsung SM863 480GB drives in a striped mirror (aka RAID10) currently and the performance is amazing. I can max out the 10G storage NIC on reads and write speeds come pretty close.

Would RAIDZ1 be a bad choice for a pool used for templates, images, content library and maybe a couple Citrix session hosts? From a VM point of view I wouldn't be running more than 6 VMs on this RAIDZ1 pool.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If you get 10g speeds is that with iscsi w sync=always/NFS or without? surprisingly fast if with sync:)
And if you don't need IOPS the o/c you can go raidZ rebuild times on ssd should be quick enough to prevent second failure. but better have a backup too:)

BSDguy

Sep 22, 2014
I have deleted the zpools until the new disks arrive but how do I check if iscsi is using sync=always? I'll check this when I create the new pools next week when I have all the drives.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
ISCSI will not use synch mode per default so if you used iSCSI and not nfs and didn't adjust the setting then you ran without:)

BSDguy

Sep 22, 2014
It would have been defaults as I didn't change a thing after creating the pool (ie: all defaults).

Whats the thoughts on using lz4 compression with iscsi and VMs? Good? Bad? Use it? Don't use it?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Most modern CPUs have no issue with lz4 but o/c if you look for best possible performance then leave it off;)

I have turned it on :)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Most modern CPUs have no issue with lz4 but o/c if you look for best possible performance then leave it off;)

I have turned it on :)
There are benchmarks that show LZ4 vs. no compression actually get slightly better performance.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Very well possible if you got CPU cycles to spare. If you're hard pressed I wouldn't think so (but that is rarely the case I assume).