Shared code/files area under STH control

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
@Patrick,

The subject of having a shared code repository for STH readers has come up a couple times recently in various threads for things like scripts for burning in hard disks and also for software and schematics for Arduino/Pi temperature sensors for closed racks. The STH community would be well served by having a repository of such software that is peer reviewed/improved and available in a reliable location.

Although anyone can get a free personal GitHub account and post their files for others to access, those accounts sometimes disappear or get reorganized over time.

Therefore it seems better to have a STH GitHub account house such contributions because that would ensure longevity of the files, it would encourage improvement and maintenance of those files, and would tend to encourage more collaboration on these development projects overall.

Moreover, it seems simple enough to set up - you may want a couple trusted users to oversee it much in the way you have several forum moderators now.

Let me know your thoughts - thanks
Dave

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Patrick,

The subject of having a shared code repository for STH readers has come up a couple times recently in various threads for things like scripts for burning in hard disks and also for software and schematics for Arduino/Pi temperature sensors for closed racks. The STH community would be well served by having a repository of such software that is peer reviewed/improved and available in a reliable location.

Although anyone can get a free personal GitHub account and post their files for others to access, those accounts sometimes disappear or get reorganized over time.

Therefore it seems better to have a STH GitHub account house such contributions because that would ensure longevity of the files, it would encourage improvement and maintenance of those files, and would tend to encourage more collaboration on these development projects overall.

Moreover, it seems simple enough to set up - you may want a couple trusted users to oversee it much in the way you have several forum moderators now.

Let me know your thoughts - thanks
Dave
@dave

I apparently missed this during travels this week. Are you thinking like a private git repo or are you thinking that we should host more here: STH-Dev · GitHub

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
@dave

I apparently missed this during travels this week. Are you thinking like a private git repo or are you thinking that we should host more here: STH-Dev · GitHub
@Patrick,

Thanks for letting me know that STH does, in fact, have a code repository. I wasn't aware of that and hadn't heard anyone discuss it (notwithstanding a few "we ought to have one ..." discussions).

I don't think it should be private - everyone benefits the most from increasing collaboration and sharing - so a public repository is ideal. Is the repository configured to allow others such as myself to start a new project there and upload files but still retain some modicum of influence on who can change and upload those files?

Thanks,
Dave