Server rails confusion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Deluded

Aug 27, 2020
Well, I got pointed at this forum from the Hardforum guys over there, so perhaps I can nitpick some of your brains for some info.....

To make a long story short, I moved into a new office and decided that haphazard file storage in bunch of externals and laptops and stuff wasn't working for me.

Got a used server from buddy and a server cabinet from a different buddy. Server is a supermicro, linked below.

Cabinet is just a standard screw in server cabinet, nothing fancy, not round holes or square holes, but it is screwed in.

IMG_20200822_172209.jpgIMG_20200822_172202.jpgIMG_20200822_172155.jpg

This is my first experience with server components and cabinets and stuff. I already upgraded the CPU's and RAM's and populated all 12 HDD bays, and have unraid running on it. That part is working good, no problems at all.

The problem is installing the server onto the cabinet so it's not just sitting on top of it, and as I understand supermicro came up with onety one billion different rails on different applications for different servers, just like Dell or HP or other big vendors. So as you might imagine, the server did not come with any rails whatsoever.

According to the supermicro link above, only MCP-290-00058-0N fits the server, but what about the cabinet? Can I get away with universal rails as recommended by hardforum?

Downside of the universals is that the server will simply sit on the rail, and it will be prone to sliding forward and backward when touched.

What are my options here? Suck it up and buy the expensive as balls rails as specified by supermicro, or can I (sorta) get away with getting different supermicro rails that don't quite match and then modify as needed? Like these ones:

I've never dealt with these stuff, so I'm hopelessly out of my depth here.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I would get the supermicro rail kit. You will probably keep the chassis forever and then it's not worth to buy some generic/universal rails :D
For your rack you will need an adapter kit (MCP-290-00060-0N).

Reactions: Deluded

familybot

Jan 14, 2020
Universal rails would be fine for you (but not much $ savings). The first drawback to L, shelf-type rails is that they require a few millimeters below the chassis which can be a problem if you are mounting rack units directly above/below each other. The second issue, as you mentioned, is that they don't slide. But that's not a problem if you are using an empty open-frame rack with room to maneuver on all sides. Sliding rails are convenient if you plan to perform maintenance inside the chassis while it is in the rack - and while there are components mounted above it. Servers aren't "prone to sliding" unless your home is not level or is prone to earthquakes. Also, if you pull on the server, it will eventually fall to the ground.

I'd look at the Cyberpower & Navepoint rails on Amazon - no need for eBay headaches on this one. $35-40. Full-length ones will support the back 1/3 of your server as well. These can come in handy if you expand your setup in the future to include network equipment, ups, etc that may be missing rack ears.

For SuperMicro rails, you need to measure your rack from front to rear posts. If < 27", then MCP-290-00058. If < 34.5, you need MCP-290-00053. Supermicro is $60 on ebay, Generic is $40. Unless you're the type of car owner that has to have matching keyrings and luggage, the generic will work fine for you. They are steel, won't bend or snap, and will hold your server in the rack just fine. As i386 said, you will also need adapters to convert from square to threaded holes. I think the one you need though is MCP-290-00061. Direct from SM is $7 + s/h.

Reactions: Deluded

Deluded

Aug 27, 2020
Yeeeeeeah that makes sense. I'm not likely to get rid of this server anytime soon, might as well pony up the additional dough to fit it properly.

The server is going to be in my office, and I'm the only worker in the office, so nobody will touch it....but the office is on the second floor, and I'm in LA. Earthquakes are a thing here.

Rack is definitely below 27", so I can get the 00058 rails, or get the generic ones. I am definitely not the type that needs to have matching accessories, so long they're functional. I've been able to mix and match various parts from various manufacturers into both my cars and motorcycles with success. Best is BMW coolant, Honda coolant temp sensor, VW fan switch and Suzuki Vitara fuel pump on my Suzuki motorcycle. All were compatible and exact same part as OEM, just a cheaper than what the dealer wanted. :p

But I digress.

As i386 said, you will also need adapters to convert from square to threaded holes. I think the one you need though is MCP-290-00061. Direct from SM is $7 + s/h.
Which one is it? 00060 or 00061? 60 is round hole, my cabinet is threaded. 61 looks to fit my cabinet since its threaded?